Turn off Ooma Tone

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
zappullae
Turn off Ooma Tone

Post by zappullae » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:29 am

Can I turn off the ooma tone I get when I go off hook? I want just a regular dial tone. I have turned off the ooma confirmation tone callers hear.

bw1

Re: Turn off Ooma Tone

Post by bw1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:49 am

The ooma dial tone cannot be turned off, only the connection tone.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:04 am

Think of that sweet little tune as the "you're saving money on this call" tune. It may seem a bother now, but wait a few months with no phone bill and it will sound as sweet as it does for the rest of us. In my case, I have a landline that I have not integrated into my ooma. When we have guests, I let them hear the ooma dialtone and tell them not to dial long distance unless they hear the special tone.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:06 am

southsound wrote:Think of that sweet little tune as the "you're saving money on this call" tune. It may seem a bother now, but wait a few months with no phone bill and it will sound as sweet as it does for the rest of us.
:) I like it!

number9

Post by number9 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:22 am

I thought the tones were for marketing. When the person you call picks up, hears the tone and asks you what it is you can say "It's my ooma!" "I have no phone bill!" Then ooma makes money without a huge advertising budget and stays in business. Or some thing,...
Plays PRS guitars

zappullae

Post by zappullae » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 am

The ooma has to work for that to happen...

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:57 am

number9 wrote:I thought the tones were for marketing. When the person you call picks up, hears the tone and asks you what it is you can say "It's my ooma!" "I have no phone bill!" Then ooma makes money without a huge advertising budget and stays in business. Or some thing,...
That may indeed be the reason for the connection tone - and it CAN be turned off in the lounge. Many of us have done so because it is somewhat obtrusive. But the little tune before dialing is not so bothersome and is only heard by the caller.

zappullae wrote:The ooma has to work for that to happen...
If you are having a problem with the ooma working maybe you could describe the situation and we might be able to help. If not, the tech support people are great and wait times are short. Their number is 888 711-6662
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:55 pm

zappullae wrote:..Can I turn off the ooma tone I get when I go off hook? I want just a regular dial tone...

The OOMA Tone is a nice confirmation that your system is working

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:14 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong...for those who have an integrated land line, it becomes very important to know if the ooma or landline is making the call...

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:58 pm

lohertz wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...for those who have an integrated land line, it becomes very important to know if the ooma or landline is making the call...
That's why I like having the Ooma dial tone. Otherwise I wouldn't know before placing a potentially costly phone call.

Cheers,
Scott