Inbound Caller ID

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
kdmc69
Inbound Caller ID

Post by kdmc69 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:42 am

I am in the process of having my number ported over from another VOIP provider. I have a forward set so any call to that number will forward to my Ooma line. Since the porting process started I have noticed that caller ID is not displayed properly on inbound calls. There are a number of different scenarios presented: Unknown Caller - Intl. Caller (with a phone number) and just all *********. In some cases the number that is displayed (though a valid number) is not the number of the party calling. However, if the Ooma number I was given when I installed is called, the caller ID works correctly. My question: once the porting process is complete, can I expect the caller id to work correctly? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

trim81

Re: Inbound Caller ID

Post by trim81 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:07 am

kdmc69 wrote:I am in the process of having my number ported over from another VOIP provider. I have a forward set so any call to that number will forward to my Ooma line. Since the porting process started I have noticed that caller ID is not displayed properly on inbound calls. There are a number of different scenarios presented: Unknown Caller - Intl. Caller (with a phone number) and just all *********. In some cases the number that is displayed (though a valid number) is not the number of the party calling. However, if the Ooma number I was given when I installed is called, the caller ID works correctly. My question: once the porting process is complete, can I expect the caller id to work correctly? Thanks for any help you can provide.

my caller ID works perfectly fine.

I have a feeling its your VOIP provider not passing through the proper caller ID info to Ooma (forwarding)

You wont have any problems when the number is ported...

kdmc69

Post by kdmc69 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:48 am

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be finding out in a few days.
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

trim81

Post by trim81 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:44 am

kdmc69 wrote:Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be finding out in a few days.

when is your port date set to complete?

Please update the thread when you have completion.. I would love to hear the outcome.

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:13 am

Right, after your port is completed, you should find your caller-ID working in a similar way (providing accurate caller-ID name information) as with your temporary ooma phone number.

kdmc69

Post by kdmc69 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Wow! I'm really confused now. The caller ID has started working this afternoon, but it appears the port of my number has not been completed.
When I receive a call, the ID is correct. When I place a call, the temp Ooma number is still showing up on the other person's caller id.
Think maybe the old VOIP provider that had (has) my number may have done something on their end? I'm pleased that it is now working, but if it goes away again, trim81, I'll update this thread.
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

kdmc69

Post by kdmc69 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Since my last post (9/22) my caller ID has continued to function as desired. Obviously my previous provider was at fault and not Ooma. My number port has been completed and is working well.
Thanks for listening.
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2