Can I bring my Ooma on travel abroad and use it?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
niknak
Re: Can I bring my Ooma on travel abroad and use it?

Post by niknak » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:55 pm

...the Scout only works if you don't have the ADSL filter plugged in (like I do on my Tivo)...
the scout will work as long as it has it's own pair of wires connected between the wall port on the hub and the wall port on the scout.
There are a few different ways to accomplish this even using DSL

doug

Post by doug » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 pm

niknak wrote:the scout will work as long as it has it's own pair of wires connected between the wall port on the hub and the wall port on the scout.
There are a few different ways to accomplish this even using DSL
But most of them would be hard to accomplish while traveling abroad with only the scout. :)

ROoma

Post by ROoma » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:18 pm

oompa wrote:I will take a vacation to the Philippines for a month. Can I bring my Ooma with me so people can call me to the same number? I was just told that using my cell phone I will be charged an arm and a leg.

I know I have to make sure of 2 things though:
1) adapter for 110V and
2) high speed connection.

What are the potential problems?

What is the minimum requirement for broadband speed to make Ooma work? Is this a bad idea?
Hi oompa,
Did you go to Philippines? How was your experience? I'm in Philippines now but I've been having a terrible time using the ooma device here :( . Can you let us know how it went for you?

thank you!

TomoyoN

Post by TomoyoN » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:42 pm

So any news about the call quality / general opinion of using Ooma in the Philippines?

maarc1

Post by maarc1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:48 pm

i heard that voip quality could be affected by slower speeds.

TomoyoN

Post by TomoyoN » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Well I don't need it for business purposes... I just need it for keeping in contact with friends in family back in the US and maybe if the call quality is good enough I'll leave one [bring an extra] for relatives in the Philippines...

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:49 pm

Just find out what ISP the Ooma call center is using in Manila.

etyler007

Post by etyler007 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:23 pm

oompa wrote:I will take a vacation to the Philippines for a month. Can I bring my Ooma with me so people can call me to the same number? I was just told that using my cell phone I will be charged an arm and a leg.

I know I have to make sure of 2 things though:
1) adapter for 110V and
2) high speed connection.
I have a question about the adapter for 110v...

What type of adapter are you using? The same type as when you use a shaver or small appliance with countries that have 240v power. :?

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:35 am

maarc1 wrote:i heard that voip quality could be affected by slower speeds.
It's not the speeds that'll get you, it's the latency, jitter and packet loss. Just for phone calls not while surfing and downloading, you only need better than 30kbs in each direction with the iLBC (default for voice on Ooma) codec. If you've used other voip services, most of them use the g.729 codec for voice by default. In theory, the iLBC codec is supposed to be very tolerant of packet loss but not huge blocks of them lost, slighly more than the g.729 codec and both are much more forgiving than the g.711 codec. I'd be curious if you could even get a successful fax over g.711 while there.

thomus28

Post by thomus28 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 am

Hello there,

Indeed, you can take your Ooma Telo Base Station with you when you travel universally! Connect your Ooma Telo Base Station to broadband in another nation and you can get approaches your U.S. (or then again Canada) telephone number and make calls to any local telephone number for nothing, much the same as you ordinarily would at home.