Can I bring my Ooma on travel abroad and use it?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
oompa
Can I bring my Ooma on travel abroad and use it?

Post by oompa » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:41 pm

I will take a vacation to the Philippines for a month. Can I bring my Ooma with me so people can call me to the same number? I was just told that using my cell phone I will be charged an arm and a leg.

I know I have to make sure of 2 things though:
1) adapter for 110V and
2) high speed connection.

What are the potential problems?

What is the minimum requirement for broadband speed to make Ooma work? Is this a bad idea?

niknak

Re: Can I bring my Ooma on travel abroad and use it?

Post by niknak » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Lots of people do exactly what you want to do which is take your ooma with you. Yes, you need a high speed connection and a power converter and you should be good to go!
Happy travelling!

Bare minimum you need is about 200 kbps up/down
Other factors influence voice quality, however any decent high speed connection would be a good candidate to try it out abroad.

Please note that in some countries it is illegal to use VOIP - I doubt this is the case in the Phillipines - mostly this restriction is in countries with state-owned telephone services

oompa

Post by oompa » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:59 pm

niknak wrote:Please note that in some countries it is illegal to use VOIP - I doubt this is the case in the Phillipines - mostly this restriction is in countries with state-owned telephone services
I believe Vonage also exists in the Philippines. So, I guess VOIP is OK.

Thank you for quick reply.

I hope it is just a plug and play and I do not need to setup something on a PC.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:52 am

We did sign an agreement that we wouldn't move the Ooma system unless we notify Ooma first. I suspect this is due to E911 support.

Does Ooma give us a way to update our E911 information for situations like this?

Scott

bw1

Post by bw1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:35 am

scottlindner wrote:We did sign an agreement that we wouldn't move the Ooma system unless we notify Ooma first. I suspect this is due to E911 support.

Does Ooma give us a way to update our E911 information for situations like this?

Scott
Yes, on the Account tab in the ooma lounge, there's an "edit account" link that will allow you to change your service address. No need to contact support.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:39 am

bw1 wrote:
scottlindner wrote:We did sign an agreement that we wouldn't move the Ooma system unless we notify Ooma first. I suspect this is due to E911 support.

Scott
Yes, on the Account tab in the ooma lounge, there's an "edit account" link that will allow you to change your service address. No need to contact support.
Awesome. I didn't know that was used to update the E911 location since it says Account Information and Billing Address. I guess it is the Account Information that is used.

Scott

voipdabbler

Post by voipdabbler » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:22 am

One thing you may want to check on is whether you'll have any issues with customs in the Philippines or any other foreign country where you may be staying, even for just a few days. Taking the Ooma hub with you on foreign travel does make it subject to custom's searches in those countries where you'll be exiting the airport and possible seizure if customs officials are unclear what it is or if there are local restrictions on VOIP, such as the Middle East, or simply restrictions on bringing unlicensed VOIP equipment into the country. When I worked back East, my job required foreign travel and I witnessed a number of unhappy people at various foreign airports who had had items seized. Checking before you travel may save you a lot of frustration in the long run.

locosman

Post by locosman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:28 am

Can you leave the Hub at home and just travel with the Scout?

If I plug the Scout in when I travel, will both the Hub ring (at home) and the Scout ring (at the hotel)?

Thx!

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:31 am

No, the scout has to be physically connected to the hub to work.
Go AVS!

locosman

Post by locosman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 am

Yeah, sorry -- I figured it out when I saw that there's no LAN connection on the Scout.

Also, I use ADSL in my house, and didn't realize that the Scout only works if you don't have the ADSL filter plugged in (like I do on my Tivo).