Google Voice Invites

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Aveamantium
Re: Google Voice Invites

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 am

I understand not wanting to lose your number! :)

Later on GV is supposed to be able to port your number in (this is something I'm considering as well). I'm not sure how the ooma folks will deal with this but I was thinking that down the road (when GV porting is available) you could port the number you don't want to lose to GV and get a new number from ooma. Then with GV you could forward your GV number to the new ooma number (and any other numbers you'd like).

In the meantime if you forward your ooma number to GV how would your ooma phones ring. You can't forward them back to ooma or you'd create a loop. Unless someone else can see a solution (or if I'm still not understanding you), GV probably won't do whant you want it to do right now.
Go AVS!

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 am

Right, in this case you can't forward your ooma number to your GV number for two reasons, the loop and the "press 1", unless you turn off the GV menu.

Wayne

kenra

Post by kenra » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 am

ahhh....what a great week. Qwest land line port successfully completed on scheduled date. Received GV invite this a.m, about a 1 month wait, AND GV had numbers in my area code. God is good!!!

Gooooo ooma

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:42 pm

kenra wrote:God is good!!!
All the time! :grin:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:34 am

Warning for those who use Outlook and have the junk email options set! :eek:

From a trusted friend: "It seems that even the low setting may be moving Google Voice invitations to the junk mail folder in MS Outlook. I almost missed my invitation. It ended up in my junk mail folder. If I had deleted the folder contents as I often do, it would have been gone forever!"

Make sure you have voice-noreply@google.com in your safe sender list.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

tailwheel

Post by tailwheel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:59 am

I'll confirm that. That's where I found my invite. I have junk mail set on low protection.
Ooma Hub/Scout owner since March 2009

hwoods1

Post by hwoods1 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:26 pm

SouthSound posted a good question concerning the Google Voice invites. How long did it take for those of you that have received your invite? I requested my invite a short time ago, so I am just curious how long the wait is ;-> For those of you that have yet to receive your Google Voice Invite......please post the amount of days you had to wait before receiving your invite. I sent my request in a week ago, so I don't expect I will receive my invite any time soon.

Is Ooma going to charge the $39 to port the Google Voice number?

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:13 am

Any number port to Ooma is $39.99 except for one included with a one year subscription to premier.

But why would you want to port your GV number to Ooma?

When Ooma comes out with their GV extensions, you'll be able to use your existing Ooma number with GV:
if you don’t want to go through the hassle of switching to yet another new phone number, use your existing ooma number (or port your number to ooma) and we’ll forward it to Google Voice
http://blog.ooma.com/2009/03/18/ooma-and-google-voice/

hwoods1

Post by hwoods1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:37 am

I am interested in the ooma GVE Home Phone Integration, but I don't think it will work with my configuration. I have my ooma system set up as two separate phone lines/numbers. I think I will have to wait for GV to offer porting and port my existing number twice. I will be porting my existing number to Ooma and then later to GV. It's a long story, but I am a Realtor and I must retain this one phone number. It's on all my signs, business cards, mailers and changing it would be nightmare. Porting this number twice is my only option, since I don't have GV yet. I am not in a situation to start with a new number (GV number). I am wondering how many numbers I can have with Ooma? My guess is two, but I will check it out today.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:20 am

If you port your existing number to Ooma you'll be able to use it/forward it to Google Voice, so you won't need to port the number to Google Voice.

But you may be waiting a while to get all of the capability you're looking for.

Ooma supports up to 9 numbers with Premier: https://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_premier.php#personalize