DirecTV w/ DSL - getting caller ID

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
bc3tech
Re: DirecTV w/ DSL - getting caller ID

Post by bc3tech » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:20 am

bw1 wrote:
bc3tech wrote:Since a scout is essentially required in this application, it means that the next-gen Telo that should be coming out in the next couple of months will essentially take Caller ID on your TV off the table:

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?p=13723#p13723
Groundhound has it working on his hub, so there's no reason that I can think of that it wouldn't work on the Telo if connected the same way.
Groundhound wrote: Caller ID
I have a DirecTv HR22 connected to the line1 circuit in my house, which in turn is fed from the phone port on my hub. The only reason I have it connected at all is for the caller ID feature of the HR22. If you do a bit of searching regarding this feature and the HR22, you will find that it is a common problem regardless of the phone company. Occasionally the HR22 stops displaying caller ID and the only fix is a red button reset, after which it begins to work again. I found this to be true before and after ooma. So if your HR22 is connected to your hub's phone port, a reset of the HR22 may be all that's needed.
i don't see this as a "real" option: since there are those that DON'T want to re-wire their home (or can't, ie apt dwellers)

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 am

There are a lot of Ooma users (myself included) that successfully connect the hub to their house wiring. But you're correct, it is something to note if that's not an option for you and you want caller id on DirecTV through a scout.

I suspect that's not a high percentage of people looking to upgrade or initially buy the Telo.

I've read that the current hub and scout will still be supported and offered for sale.

skellener

Post by skellener » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:49 am

I have a DirecTV DVR and caller ID works fine with my Ooma. In my case though, the hub is near the DVR. I simply put a splitter from the phone jack on the hub so I can have a phone and the DVR work. I didn't even read the instructions for this. Common sense dictated that if the phone would work (receive a dial tone) then any other device needing a dial tone would work as well.