Is Ooma more private than other VOIP calls?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Priv
Is Ooma more private than other VOIP calls?

Post by Priv » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:53 pm

It is my understanding that Ooma encrypts phone calls on Ooma's end, but that only Ooma to Ooma calls are fully encrypted. I am interested in whether calls made using Ooma to a non-Ooma phone are materially more private than calls made using other VOIP products. In other words, is the encryption beneficial in any way for Ooma to non-Ooma calls?

oomamaniacal

Re: Is Ooma more private than other VOIP calls?

Post by oomamaniacal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:52 pm

Priv wrote:I In other words, is the encryption beneficial in any way for Ooma to non-Ooma calls?
It would help to protect your privacy to and from Ooma's central servers, so yes, there would be a benefit. But, the party on the other end could be the weak link, if you will, depending on the security of their connection.

For example, if that person is on a 900 megahertz analog cordless phone, your conversation could be broadcast around their neighborhood without any protection. Most people have probably upgraded, but my Sennheiser cordless stereo headphones were able to pick up a local telephone conversation.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:38 am

To answer your basic question, no, there is no end-to-end encryption. Using Ooma does mean that the network traffic between your Telo and Ooma's servers is encrypted, but the routing from Ooma to the recipient goes over the normal phone network. (An exception would be if the person you are calling is also an Ooma customer.)

So it is "more private", yes, as most VoIP services do not encrypt the data so that someone monitoring your network usage could "listen in". But it is not end-to-end private.
Steve

Priv

Post by Priv » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks. This helps. It is nice to know that my calls are at least somewhat more difficult to intercept than they would be if I was using another VOIP provider.

artlover

Post by artlover » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Is Ooma call from my Ooma phone encrypted? I mean from my Ooma base unit to Ooma
voip server. The rest of the way I do not need to know.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:07 pm

"Ooma uses the same encryption technology governments use to protect classified data (which makes Ooma more secure than your old landline). ... However, a call made from an Ooma Telo to a normal telephone will only be securely encrypted within the Internet."

https://www.ooma.com/blog/privacy-matte ... one-calls/
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

artlover

Post by artlover » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:34 pm

And that encryption might be????

Because the reason I ask is because a cyber stalker has been listening in on ALL my Ooma calls.

Every one of them!

So what encryption? What level of encryption?

James

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:20 pm

The connection between the Telo and the Ooma server goes through a vpn. From the Ooma server to the analog public telephone network is the same as any other phone companies analog phone calls.

Are you using a really old cordless phone system to connect to the Telo? They are not secure at all but the person would have to be very close to your house to intercept. All bets are off if you live in an apartment. Anyone in the building could intercept the call.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

artlover

Post by artlover » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:11 am

I would like to find out how this stalker got my ooma calls. I use a straight line, no cordless phones.
Only one phone on the line on a 2 foot cable from the ooma base.

Only 2 ways to hack.

1. they cracked the vpn encryption. Maybe ooma should take a look at their LEVEL of encryption. It could be very weak.
2. Social hacking. I have asked many a company how much training do your employees get on social hacking.
Almost everyone says NONE or maybe one HOUR. That is clearly not enough. So maybe it is time for ooma review it security measures?