Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
chiefjim
Re: Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Post by chiefjim » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:11 am

Question for Tom, what happens to those who don't take the offer available at this time?

I have the Hub with lifetime premier. Would I be correct that my premier transfers over as it is attached to the account but a new Telo purchased afterwards would be subject to fees and taxes?

If that is the case I'll have fun doing some number crunching. Quick glance says so far in the 91 months I've had this hub I've saved twice what I paid for it in fees and taxes alone.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:28 am

gwwing wrote:I may have missed it but, I wonder how one would replace the hub/scout setup with this ".... new and improved... special offer..." My hub is located near my computer on a second floor room while my scout is located in another room on another floor. Where the scout is located is where most of the call screening takes place. We listen to the caller and decide if it is a call we want to answer or not. It would be tough to have to drop everything and run up to the computer room just to see who is calling. Might be good exercise but not one I would like to try. Does Ooma have a solution for this? FWIW I may be mistaken but I was able to refer someone new to Ooma that got a better price on the hardware.
As the Scout is not supported on the telo you would need to purchase a Linx or HD2 handset. You may be able to do so at a reduced price when a promotion runs.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:32 am

hyi wrote:I bought a "telo plus" device a few weeks ago, and it is still in the sealed box. Can I upgrade my account using this brand new telo unit instead of buying a new telo from ooma directly?
Yes, you should be able to. Just call support and give them the MAC address of your telo.

update: Dir. of Support tells me this is not the case. You need to purchase the telo2 through the upgrade program.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 am

chiefjim wrote:Question for Tom, what happens to those who don't take the offer available at this time? I have the Hub with lifetime premier. Would I be correct that my premier transfers over as it is attached to the account but a new Telo purchased afterwards would be subject to fees and taxes?
The offer runs for a limited time, so yes if you buy the telo after the offer expires then support would create a new account for you (that includes taxes/fees) and transfer your number over.

oomg

Post by oomg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:04 am

On September 11, 2016, Tom B. wrote the following:
“Forever means for the life of the unit but the unit is attached to an ever changing service”

On October 17, 2009, Dennis P. wrote the following:
“Let me clarify (hopefully) a few things regarding the Lifetime plan:

* It extends your warranty to three years. This way you get at least 3 years of service on your investment (if you bought the plan at the same time as the hardware). The warranty only covers the original hardware that the plan was bought under.

* It is tied to the hardware. If your hardware fails after 3 years, we'll be happy to transfer it to another device of the same model. You cannot, however, transfer the plan to a different model of hardware UNLESS explicitly allowed by an upgrade plan (like what we did for Hub owners when we introduced Telo).

* It will be available for purchase at least through the end of the year. We don't plan to keep it around indefinitely.

* Users who are currently in a Premier subscription cannot purchase additional years or upgrade to Lifetime today, but will be able to do so in the near future. We will post in the forums when this function is available.

If anyone has bought the lifetime plan in the past few days based on any mis-information here or from our customer service agents, we'll gladly refund your money. Just PM me and I'll take care of you.”

I happen to have two hub systems on the lifetime service program. I like many others had opted for the lifetime service agreement well before Dennis P. clarified a few things. At the time I signed on, it was a bit of a leap of faith as there were significant questions regarding Ooma’s reliability as well as its continued viability. Indeed, Ooma did experience a major nationwide service outage in or about April of that year.

In any event, I did not see Dennis’ clarification as a significant issue at that time as I had no reason to expect that my hub would fail, and in fact, each is still going strong. Nevertheless, when the opportunity arose, I purchased two additional new Hub and Scout systems as a backup in case of a failure, and to hopefully avoid any controversy regarding the issue of whether the lifetime service agreement was restricted to the model, or alternatively, was a fully prepaid service agreement. I should also note that I preferred the Hub and Scout system over the Telo for a number of reasons which don’t require elaboration at this time. In fact, I have two other annual Premier accounts (one for my mother and one for my son) that use a Hub system. So, having a backup unit made sense.

Now, it appears that Ooma has changed (or at least is attempting to change) the terms by taking the position that the “lifetime” service applies only to the life of the unit. So, as I understand it, if for some reason, my new replacement Telo unit were to fail for any reason, my lifetime service subscription would cease.

At the time I initially signed up for the Premier lifetime service it was represented to be an agreement for service for life. From what I have read, the same or similar representation was made to many others who opted into the Premier lifetime service.

There is a distinction between the Premier lifetime service agreement and the basic service agreement. It stands to reason that the basic service agreement would be tied to the life of the equipment as the service could not continue if the equipment was not functioning and the user chose to not replace it with another unit. However, the same exact basic service would continue to be available if a replacement unit was acquired, irrespective of whether through warranty or subsequent purchase, and irrespective of whether or not the replacement was the same model.

In contrast, the Premier service is an upgrade from the basic service. And to my understanding, if my unit (either Hub or Telo) were to fail, my service would continue irrespective of whether I secured a replacement unit through warranty or outright purchase. Likewise, the Premier lifetime service was offered as an upgrade to the Premier service at a price that not only required a leap of faith, but which required advance payment of $350. Quite frankly, I see no reason why the Premier lifetime service should not be continuing (to the original subscriber) irrespective of which model is being used.

It appears to me that Ooma now believes they made a bad deal by accepting $350 up front for Premier lifetime service, and are now attempting to place additional limitations of that service. In my humble opinion, not only is such a position bad from a P.R. standpoint, but not sustainable from a legal standpoint.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:09 am

will get back to you all on the Alexa and warranty pricing question

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:58 am

Tom - - I just noticed that the Update Offer that Ooma emailed me specifically says my new Telo will support Amazon Echo:

"When you upgrade to the Ooma Telo, you'll enjoy better reliability and voice quality with PureVoice. Ooma Telo also supports HD Voice, integration with Amazon Echo, additional connectivity options like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and support for our whole family of accessories such as the Linx and HD2 Handset".

That paragraph combined with what I said above in this post - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20415&start=10#p135832 about Core service supporting Amazon Alexa, sure looks like a solid unambiguous commitment that it will be supported.

In fact, the commitment seems to be that I'll get 100% of everything every Telo buyer gets plus not lose any of my currently Grandfathered Core service features, including no monthly fees, Enhanced Caller-ID (name) and Voicemail Notification. (isn't that a simpler way to state the offer?)

mk11

Post by mk11 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Thanks for clarifying things, Tom. I'm still wondering about the answer to these concerns posed on the previous thread:

Postby rschletty » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:11 pm

An important question: If I upgrade to Telo and it malfunctions a few months or years down the road, can I plug my legacy Ooma hub back in and expect it to work? I need this assurance as a backup plan.

===================

Postby iamhives » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes - I like rshletty's question:...

Perhaps I would change the question from 'can I plug my legacy Ooma hub back in and expect it to work' to 'would I be allowed to plug my legacy Ooma hub back in and would it to work" since I suspect the answer is more dependent on a Ooma policy rather than a technical issue since contractually Ooma needs to support hub/scout until the last customer using them is eliminated.

chiefjim

Post by chiefjim » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Tom B wrote:
chiefjim wrote:Question for Tom, what happens to those who don't take the offer available at this time? I have the Hub with lifetime premier. Would I be correct that my premier transfers over as it is attached to the account but a new Telo purchased afterwards would be subject to fees and taxes?
The offer runs for a limited time, so yes if you buy the telo after the offer expires then support would create a new account for you (that includes taxes/fees) and transfer your number over.
Tom, you skipped over the lifetime premier. Is that "mine" and not attached to the device?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:33 pm

chiefjim, the 'Lifetime Premier' is attached to the account and can only be transferred from hub to telo for the duration of the offer. After the offer ends the purchase of a telo involves the creation of a new account and not a hub-2-telo swap on the existing account.