Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
mhowie
Re: Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Post by mhowie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:02 am

Do these come with the Wireless Bluetooth Adapter? I ask as Costco is selling the Telo and Wireless Bluetooth Adapter for $84.99 (there is a $30 manufacturer's discount).

Seems the longtime Ooma customer- especially the ones who helped ensure the company's viability early on- would be able to take advantage of such a package/discount?
--Howie

allo

Post by allo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:28 am

clocks wrote:Oh crap. I got my Telo about 2-3 weeks ago, but have been pretty much sitting on it. The clock on the warranty is already ticking? If that is the case, I better switch to it now, rather than continuing to use my Hub.
Yup; you lose either way : so you may as well use the new one and see how it is holding up after 1 year; than keeping it in a closet, and plugging it 11-12 months from now to find out, it is defective after only 1 month of use, when the warranty expires.

mhowie

Post by mhowie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:53 am

Ooma has found a way to escape its original promise and raise additional revenue. Well played.

I'm in the same boat as I've contributed additional money to Ooma's bottom line.

The question is- will an older Hub continue to function and remain durable longer than a "brand new" Telo that seems to be of comparatively inferior quality based on myriad user reports of premature failure?
--Howie

clocks

Post by clocks » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:34 pm

allo wrote:
clocks wrote:Oh crap. I got my Telo about 2-3 weeks ago, but have been pretty much sitting on it. The clock on the warranty is already ticking? If that is the case, I better switch to it now, rather than continuing to use my Hub.
Yup; you lose either way : so you may as well use the new one and see how it is holding up after 1 year; than keeping it in a closet, and plugging it 11-12 months from now to find out, it is defective after only 1 month of use, when the warranty expires.
I guess I'll swap out to the telo then. If for some reason the Telo sucks and/or dies an early death, I will just drop to a single line via my Obi.

allo

Post by allo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:25 pm

That's exactly my thinking... I also have a 5 yr old OBI202... and just received an email from obihai saying there will be a sale on Amazon for $13 less than regular price on 11-25-2016 and 11-26-16 for the obi 200-202
Also same sale on Newegg 11-27 and 11-28.
i really have no need for 911 (you can use the dead telecom line which is still good for it or a cell phone... and with Obi you basically have all the stuff you have to pay Premier for: caller ID and Answering service with GV and no taxes ever.
Without begging...
I use mostly a cellphone anyway...

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:57 pm

I have 3 GV lines on my Obi202, set up for distinctive ring. IMHO I get better sound quality (less latency, less DTMF talkoff, no choppy calls) and more features - all for zero cost. I still use my ooma lines for 911. I have two sets of Uniden cordless phones each with 5 handsets. I labeled the ones connected to the Telo with 911 so we can tell them apart. Ooma has been very good to me so I have no complaints. If there was something new coming down the path I would still devote the required time to beta test it. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

ww4397

Post by ww4397 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:40 am

mhowie wrote:Ooma has found a way to escape its original promise and raise additional revenue. Well played.
This seems so true.

If there was really some technical reason requiring the removal of all Hubs from the Ooma network, why on earth would Ooma allow all of these new Telo owners to just keep their new devices boxed up,in the closet, and continue using their Hubs? Nothing has changed on the network but, seemingly, there were lots of $80 purchases.

Couldn't Ooma just as easily have sold an insurance policy where when the Hub dies the policyholder receives a new device and keeps the same original Hub terms? At least the buyer would get the latest device, maybe a Telo3,Telo4 or maybe a brand spanking new thing-a-ma-jig1, and its warranty wouldn't start until the new device went into service.

I think I'd buy that policy.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:31 am

See p1. There's NO requirement to participate in the hub2telo program. It's your choice.

If you do choose to participate, it's also your choice to continue using the less reliable hub product. Some earlier confusion over whether customers had this choice was cleared up on p23. Many customers were happy to have this choice confirmed. Those who are not can simply plug in the telo upon receipt.

As explained on p1 you can safeguard your investment in the telo by purchasing extended warranties.
You can also wait for the program to be offered again possibly next year.

Also as stated on p1 it's obviously Ooma's goal to get as many customers as possible on the most reliable platform, but leaving the choice to you as explained above.

mhowie

Post by mhowie » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:11 pm

From the current version of your p1 post:

* The "Lifetime" no-taxes-and-fees offer replaces the original 3-yr one. There's no need to call support for this. You're automatically grandfathered in.

* "Lifetime" means for the life of the device as stated in the terms & conditions at https://www.ooma.com/terms. You can safeguard your telo by purchasing extended warranties (1yr $29.99, 2yrs $39.99, 3yrs $69.99). You can purchase these warranties once the telo has been added to your account.

A couple of questions regarding these bullet items--

1) Concerning the Lifetime no-taxes-and-fees commitment and the associated definition of "lifetime" in the terms & conditions- I don't find any reference to "lifetime" in the referenced terms & conditions. Could you please elaborate?

2) Does the purchase of an extended warranty for the Telo hardware apply to the service (e.g., Lifetime no-taxes-and-fees) as well?

Thanks.
--Howie

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:22 am

1) Search for "service for life".

2) Service level is associated with the account. A discontinued service level, such as core or "lifetime" premier, can be maintained as long as the device in the account is operational. The lifetime of that device can only be extended via an RMA, not the purchase of another device. RMAs are only issued for devices that are within warranty (with the exception of e.g. upgrade offers).