Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Post by Tom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:07 pm

[excerpted from viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20344&start=10]

Scott R, telo includes caller name as a premier feature. On hub it's available under Core and Premier.

https://www.ooma.com/premier/
>> on this page can click option to view basic/premier comparison
>> enhanced callerid means name+number

http://support.ooma.com/home/feature-co ... emier-core
>> core/premier comparison

Telo features not available on hub:
dect
pure voice
HD voice on telo-2-telo calls
addressbook
HD2 custom ring tones
optional bluetooth headset
optional wifi adapter

Telo Premier features not available on hub (the 'apps' dropdown visible to telo users on myooma):
nest alerts
dropbox
ifttt
google voice extensions
premier fax (in system preferences)

* premier includes everything basic has
* support for Amazon Echo is available to any residential Ooma customer (hub/telo, core/basic/premier)

All accessories introduced since Scout require the telo platform (HD2, Linx, Safety Phone, Headset).
All future premier add-ons also require the telo platform.
----------------------------------

So Bill D to answer your question. As stated in the first post, dropping a telo into your account does not change the services in the account. So if your account is Core it will remain Core (with its feature set) and not become Basic (with its reduced feature set). However because it's a telo you do gain the telo features above.

gwwing

Post by gwwing » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:16 pm

I may have missed it but, I wonder how one would replace the hub/scout setup with this ".... new and improved... special offer..." My hub is located near my computer on a second floor room while my scout is located in another room on another floor. Where the scout is located is where most of the call screening takes place. We listen to the caller and decide if it is a call we want to answer or not. It would be tough to have to drop everything and run up to the computer room just to see who is calling. Might be good exercise but not one I would like to try. Does Ooma have a solution for this? FWIW I may be mistaken but I was able to refer someone new to Ooma that got a better price on the hardware.

ww4397

Post by ww4397 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:25 pm

So, after pages and pages of posts (on two threads) I think it is accurate to say that if you are an owner of a Hub with Core service level and you do NOTHING, than nothing changes. You continue to pay $0, you keep your Hub, you keep your Core features (including CallID with name and voicemail notification via email and/or text) and service reliability remains the same.

Basically, its like nothing ever happened.

Now, if you feel/think your Hub is on its last legs, then here is your chance to get new hardware and maintain the $0 per month for service and keep your Core service features. This comes at a one time cost of $80. Therein lies the gamble. How much longer will your Hub last? Would it outlive a new Telo?

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:02 pm

Tom B wrote: https://www.ooma.com/premier/
>> on this page can click option to view basic/premier comparison
>> enhanced callerid means name+number

http://support.ooma.com/home/feature-co ... emier-core
>> core/premier comparison
----------------------------------
So Bill D to answer your question. As stated in the first post, dropping a telo into your account does not change the services in the account. So if your account is Core it will remain Core (with its feature set) and not become Basic (with its extended feature set).
I disagree that Basic (compared to Core) has an "extended feature set" . Comparing both feature sets that you reference above, when using a Telo device, Core includes every feature that Basic includes plus 4 features that Basic does not include:

Enhanced Caller-ID (name)
Voicemail notifications
Anonymous Call Blocking
Mobile calling

I've placed my upgrade order.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:34 pm

You're completely right. Corrected the post accordingly. And Basic does include Mobile calling.

hyi

Post by hyi » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Tom,

I bought a "telo plus" device a few weeks ago, and it is still in the sealed box. Can I upgrade my account using this brand new telo unit instead of buying a new telo from ooma directly?

Thanks,

tao

Post by tao » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:35 pm

Tom B wrote:The post starting this thread mentions Core so it's applicable to you.

1) 2) with the upgrade you keep your existing account so all services stay the same
3) warranty extensions: 1yr $29.99 2yrs $39.99 3yrs $69.99
4) hub service will stay the same, so inferior to telo + can't take advantage of existing or upcoming premier features that may interest you
Do you mean 1/2/3 Year extended warranty, after the 1 year warranty that comes with the Telo?
which makes a total of 2/3/4 yrs warranty altogether.

It's very important that I get an answer to the above.

svgeek78

Post by svgeek78 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Tom B wrote:[excerpted from viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20344&start=10]

As stated in the first post, dropping a telo into your account does not change the services in the account. So if your account is Core it will remain Core (with its feature set) and not become Basic (with its reduced feature set). However because it's a telo you do gain the telo features above, except Amazon Echo.
Crap, no Amazon Echo feature on Telo for a Core account? Not a deal breaker, but that is disappointing...

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Tom B wrote:.... Only thing Basic has over Core in terms of hardware independent services is support for Amazon Echo...
Core does support Amazon Echo according to http://support.ooma.com/home/feature-co ... emier-core which has "Connect with Amazon Alexa" listed and linked to http://support.ooma.com/home/amazon-alexa-integration. Unless I'm missing something, there's no difference between how Basic and Core support Amazon Echo on a Telo.

tao

Post by tao » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:53 pm

gof wrote:Thanks for the clarification Tom. Given this information, I think it's likely many of us might pass on the "opportunity" to pay for the upgrade. Since there will be no change in functionality or reliability, I'm of the opinion "if it ain't broke, don't touch it". :D
I think I will pass also, because I hardly use Ooma all that much... not more than 1 call a week on average since 2009... and I never got a 2nd phone #... (I use mostly Cellphones and emails).
So I really don't see what I will gain by upgrading ... but I will loose by spending more money, specially if I get the extended warranty with a pricing that does not have any logic behind it: 1yr = $30 / 2yrs= $40 / 3yrs =$70 : ( a jump of $30 ... whereas for the 2 yrs jump, it is is only a $10 ... Also a 3 years warranty from Amazon /Walmart/ New-egg is less than $15 ).