Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Post by Tom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:09 am

iamhives wrote:I current have a Hub/Scout setup with two numbers. I have Unlimited premiere - prepaid with no taxes/fees ever - actually until the hub/scout hardware fails since that is the definition of unlimited. I have the similar questions as Tao:

1- Will I be getting a Telo 2 (the latest version?).
2- Will I keep the Lifetime Premier I bought with the Hub (will it transfer to the Telo If I accept the offer?) I assume so but just checking
3- Taxes and and Fees remain the same as they are with the Hub now? It is Zero now : It will remain Zero with the Telo? I assume so but just checking.
4- What would I have to do to replace the functionality of the Scout? How does the Telo handle 2 lines, 2 voicemails etc
5- How reliable has the Telo hardware been? Hub/scout has been rock solid and I've been planning on replacing capacitors if they blow (which with electronics nowadays seems to be the most common/first hardware problem) so don't want to move to newer but less reliable hardware (newer hardware always seems to be less reliable/cheaper than its predecessor)
6 - What's the warranty on the Telo , and the Lifetime Premier when transferred to Telo ?
7 - What other features will be lost with Telo vs Hub/Scout

Ooma - suggest you answer these questions proactively either here or in some other public forum since these are questions all people who bought the Premier unlimited Hub/scout will want to know and it will save you the call center volume..
1. Yes.
2. The upgrade is done as an RMA* so any eligible customer keeps their existing Lifetime* Premier or Core account. Both these account types include caller name and email notification, so these features will continue working under telo.
3. Yes, see 2.
4. If you wish to make two calls at the same time you would need to purchase a Linx or HD2.
5. Don't know the MTBF, but for peace of mind you can purchase warranty extensions.
6. The purchase of the Telo2 comes with a 1 year warranty.
7. Only thing not offered on telo2 compared to hub is landline integration and Scout support.

* Discontinued products do not need to be returned to Ooma, so this RMA will not include a free return label.

* This hub-2-telo upgrade offer runs for a limited time. There's no specific end date. It can end at any time. Check the email you received.

* There's no requirement to participate in the upgrade. If you decide not to, your hub will continue working.

* To take advantage of the offer please call sales or support.

* You need to purchase the telo2 through the upgrade program. A telo2 acquired in any other way is not eligible for the swap.

* Once you receive the telo2 you can plug it in at any time, but once it goes into service the hub will go out of service and cannot be put back into service. It's in Ooma's interest (and its customer base) to have customers on the most reliable platform possible.

* The "Lifetime" no-taxes-and-fees offer replaces the original 3-yr one. There's no need to call support for this. You're automatically grandfathered in.

* "Lifetime" means for the life of the device as stated in the terms & conditions at https://www.ooma.com/terms. You can safeguard your telo by purchasing extended warranties (1yr $29.99, 2yrs $39.99, 3yrs $69.99). You can purchase these warranties once the telo has been added to your account.

* The services you receive, such as callerid name, are tied to your account. So replacing the hub with a telo in your account does not change the services in your account and so does not change your account to Basic. You can easily confirm this by visiting https://my.ooma.com/account/services. It will state your service level.

* A discontinued service level, such as core or "lifetime" premier, can be maintained as long as the device in the account is operational. The lifetime of that device can only be extended via an RMA, not the purchase of another device. RMAs are only issued for devices that are within warranty (with the exception of e.g. this upgrade offer).

* "reduced service reliability" as stated in the email means as compared to the telo, not reduced compared to how the hub reliability has always been. Simply put: telo benefits from recent network infrastructure upgrades, hub does not due to its firmware limitations.

Bill D

Re: Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Post by Bill D » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:24 am

Tom B,

Will the grandfathered Core service for a Telo purchased under this offer also include all Basic service features?

evoori

Post by evoori » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:34 am

Seems like Ooma will continue to offer caller id NAME with the Telo exchange..

The way I see is caller id name is 'Plan' feature rather than 'equipment' feature.. So you will loose/gain the equipment feature but your plan feature will remain the same..

The majority of grandfathered people we are talking here have 'Core' plan which is slightly different than present day 'Basic' or 'Premier' plan..

Core vs Premier
http://support.ooma.com/home/feature-co ... emier-core

Basic vs Premier
http://support.ooma.com/home/feature-co ... mier-basic
Last edited by evoori on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gof

Post by gof » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:12 am

gof wrote:The big, indeed, HUGE, item you put in the footnote now on page 5 is the following.
Tom B wrote:Tom B wrote:
* "reduced service reliability" as stated in the email means as compared to the telo, not reduced compared to how the hub reliability has always been
For me, this clarification is very concerning. The original email claims "Recently, we made several network infrastructure upgrades for our Ooma Telo product, which unfortunately could cause Hub users to experience reduced service reliability due to the firmware limitations of the Hub." Any native speaking English reader will conclude from this that the "reduced service reliability" would be relative to the subject "Hub users". More directly, the message is that users of Hubs would experience a reduction in service reliability (e.g. your hub may not work as well as it did in the past). Yet, according to your clarification, the intended message is that the Telo will work better than it has in the past, and this will be better than existing hubs (but that hub reliability would be same as before).

If this is a correct interpretation of your new footnote, please confirm. It will significantly impact my (and I suspect many others) response to the email. I have several family members using Ooma hubs (all purchased at the beginning) as their exclusive home phone lines. The implied message that they would start having their reliability impacted was concerning to say the least. Since this would appear to NOT be the case, then the proposed upgrade becomes just that, a proposed upgrade, not a necessary shift in hardware to maintain functionality.
Tom B wrote:Yes, that is the intended message. Simply put: telo benefits from recent network infrastructure upgrades, hub does not due to its firmware limitations.
Thanks for the clarification Tom. Given this information, I think it's likely many of us might pass on the "opportunity" to pay for the upgrade. Since there will be no change in functionality or reliability, I'm of the opinion "if it ain't broke, don't touch it". :D

FreeLunch

Post by FreeLunch » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:14 am

Tom,

Any way you can post a FAQ for people? The above post answers some questions but even after the other 10 page thread, I don't know what is applicable for me. I am a Ooma core /hub user. I am not a Ooma premier user. Therefore, I don't know if the above answers are the same for me. Probably the questions I believe most people have are

1) Will I have voicemail email?
2) Will I have caller id Name?
3) What is the cost for extended warranty on a Telo?
4) If I am satisfied with my Hub service now, will any backend changes degrade the service? I understand Telos may get better service, but considering pretty much all of us don't have Telos, I am just trying to compare it with my current service.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:08 pm

The post starting this thread mentions Core so it's applicable to you.

1) 2) with the upgrade you keep your existing account so all services stay the same
3) warranty extensions: 1yr $29.99 2yr $39.99 3yr $69.99
4) hub service will stay the same, so inferior to telo + can't take advantage of existing or upcoming premier features that may interest you

FreeLunch

Post by FreeLunch » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks Tom.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Tom - - Will the Telo purchased under this offer work with the Amazon Echo even without Premier?

svgeek78

Post by svgeek78 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:26 pm

That is my other reason for upgrading, so I can pair it with my 2nd generation Echo Dot after its release.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:44 pm

My reason for asking the Mod these questions is because he states "..replacing the hub with a telo in your account does not change the services in your account and so does not change your account to Basic".

I'm assuming your account does change to have the additional features of Basic service in addition to keeping caller name and email notification. Hopefully, I'm correct on my assumption.