Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
MattShaikh
Re: Important Service Update for Ooma Hub Owners

Post by MattShaikh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:18 am

Rassi wrote:Any way we can get in on the 1-day sale on Amazon for the Telo? It's $57 today only with 10% off coupon...
I don't think you are eligible for the upgrade offer with no tax if you buy the device from Amazon. Honestly - this is a bummer. Ooma. Why this restriction? I am happy with my Hub (paid a significant amount when I joined Ooma many years ago) why do I have to pay again to move to Telo... you should be offering it for free to your oldest customers.

allo

Post by allo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:04 am

Rassi wrote:Any way we can get in on the 1-day sale on Amazon for the Telo? It's $57 today only with 10% off coupon...
I would get something else as a safety net: like Obi 200 or 202 which gives you pretty much the same service when Google Voice is added, and there are no taxes or $10 Premier each month.

tivoboy

Post by tivoboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:13 am

did everyone who did the Telo upgrade get their hubs? My device continues to work fine all I need for now. By the time it ever dies calling for anything will pretty much be free.

essential

Post by essential » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:59 am

Sorry, I read through some of this thread and I didn't find the answer to my question. Hopefully I'll articulate this so it makes sense.

I've been an Ooma Core owner for a long time. I have a grandfathered no tax plan. My Core still works well, but like many in this thread I was offered the Ooma Telo upgrade for $79.99 and made that purchase on October 31, 2016 through Ooma because I was told it would keep my grandfathered no tax status. That Telo is still in the box, hasn't been activated because my Core still works well. I'm not going to use it unless my Core dies.

Here's my question. I've come to the point where I'd like to port a number. I can easily port a number to my Core, but what happens to the Telo if I ever need it? Did it come pre-loaded with my current number, or is it tied to some kind of other account information of mine? When I activate it will it pull whatever my current Ooma number is or will it try to activate with the number I had when I bought it (prior to porting)?

Basically, I'm not sure if I port a number to my current Core, will it screw up my Telo upgrade if I ever need it if my Core dies?

I hope that makes sense?

Thanks.

tivoboy

Post by tivoboy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:41 am

Has anyone received this offer since 2016?

blacknoi

Post by blacknoi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 am

I haven't but actually at this point would be interested if they offered it again (as my home phone needs have changed since they made the offer).

lwb78750

Post by lwb78750 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:35 pm

I have been an since OOMA Customer since *Day One*, January 2010. Recently my HUB died. I then purchased a new TELO and called to give them the Telo Authorization Code. (You can't register a new device from your existing account page - you must call them.) As I expected I was promptly connected to a call center in India. I informed her that I wanted to register a new Telo to my existing account. They said "no problem ... it will cost you $5 a month". I told her that I was a grandfathered customer from 2010. She said "unfortunately everyone who upgrades to Telo have to pay the monthly fee" she acted like the poor OOMA Company was just doing what they were forced to do. She blamed it on the "change of service agreement". I pointed out that the OOMA Company was responsible for the change of service agreement and that the OOMA Forums clearly state that I will be "grandfathered" to the Telo. She tried to make me feel better by pointing out that it was not *just me* who was being charged, but everyone was being charged... She also acted as if the 2016 Upgrade Offer never existed. Finally she acknowledged the 2016 Offer, but said that was over now. I then informed here that there was NOT any expiration date on the offer. Her attitude was basically "I don't care, you must pay". She told me the "grandfather" offer was *only* for the HUB. I then told her I wanted to *buy* a new HUB. I was told that I couldn't buy a HUB, and I couldn't register any existing HUB to my account. However, as long as I was using a HUB, I wouldn't have to pay the "$5 fee" which I had previously been promised for a lifetime. In other words, *my* HUB is broken. I cannot *buy*or *transfer* any other HUB to my account. However, as long as I continue to use my [non-working] HUB, I would not be charged a $5 monthly fee. That's is as good of a Catch-22 argument as I *ever* heard! IMO, although the $5 monthly fee is not a lot, it does seem to me that OOMA has changed the rules for all of us early customers, and is now *totally* lying about it.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:41 pm

The lifetime service was for the lifetime of the Hub, not your lifetime. That is standard in the electronics industry. I have three TiVos, three ReplayTVs, and two XM Radios with lifetime service. That is the way it works with all of them.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:51 pm

The Sep 20, 2016 email from Ooma that offered the transfer of a Grandfathered Hub's rights to a newly purchased Telo didn't state an expiration date for the offer, but it did say "Ooma reserves the right to cancel or modify the terms of this offer at any time".

tao

Post by tao » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:52 am

I hardly use my OOMA/Hub ; may be 1 or 2 calls a week most of the time... It is being used mostly as an answering machine to record incoming messages/callers... but recently I haven't been getting all calls, and more importantly Voicemail does not connect/ and no message is recorded .... only last week one call from a doctor about an important appointment was not recorded, and the call was not even listed... I wonder why!