ooma telo panel getting sticky

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
TheOldGrouch
ooma telo panel getting sticky

Post by TheOldGrouch » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:01 am

Anyone else starting to notice the rubberized face of their telo getting a sticky feel to it? I've had this happen to other devices with the same finish, and now it's happening to my telo also. I've researched the issue on line, and apparently there is no practical way to remedy the problem short of simply (and expensively) replacing the entire unit. I am so fed up with the junky Vtech equipment that ooma sells that if it gets to the point that I have to replace the telo one more time, I'll believe just dump ooma entirely.
I don't mind getting old, but my body is taking it badly

oomamaniacal

Re: ooma telo panel getting sticky

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:37 am

I suggest using a handset to retrieve messages instead. I use Panasonic handsets because of the limited capacity of the HD2.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:22 pm

That's the answer? Just don't touch the telo? And what if two people want to hear the message? Just play it over and over on the handset? I guess it would be too much to ask that ooma start providing decent equipment instead of crap that needs to be replaced periodically, eh?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:13 pm

TheOldGrouch wrote:That's the answer? Just don't touch the telo? And what if two people want to hear the message? Just play it over and over on the handset? I guess it would be too much to ask that ooma start providing decent equipment instead of crap that needs to be replaced periodically, eh?
I can use the speakerphone on the handset for 2 or more listening.

My Panasonic handles all my messages except for calls that come in while I am on the line.

I have my phone number on speed dial. For me, it seems more inconvenient to have only one place to listen to messages. I have seen some customers install the base unit in a basement utility closet.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

oom101

Post by oom101 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:12 pm

Do you have an original Telo, or the new thinner, lighter Telo2? Is yours in the sun, or a hot area? High humidity? Thanks!
And do you use any kind of cleaner to wipe it? Amonia?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:23 pm

oom101 wrote:Do you have an original Telo, or the new thinner, lighter Telo2? Is yours in the sun, or a hot area? High humidity? Thanks!
And do you use any kind of cleaner to wipe it? Amonia?
I have the Telo One like the Old Grouch. It resides on a desk. No direct sunlight and gets air condtioned during the summer. I use a damp cloth for cleaning.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

oom101

Post by oom101 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Hmmm. I never clean mine (years older telo), and it is coated with dust, but I fingered it in a few places, and it does not feel sticky. The new Telo2 that they are offering to Hub owners for $79 is smaller, and the keys are buttons instead of touch, but it has a suede feeling top, also, but seems a little different.

You did peel the plastic off, right? Just sayin.
And if two want to listed, use the speaker phone on the phone. Or use pencil eraser to press the button (I have not tried it).
You might want to set up the post as a question - "Anybody else's Telo get sticky?", and see if it is common.

For now, Hey! Anybody else have a Telo that has gotten a sticky surface?

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Huh?? I clean mine all the time (I love to clean) and I have absolutely no problem with cleaning it or touching it. It looks brand new after a lot of years sitting here next to my computer desk.

It's blue flower does wink at me and sometime it even talks to me (you have no new messages) when I am wiping it off. Oh, and I am not fussy with a particular kind of cloth either. Sometimes I come in and wipe off my desk and my Telo with a rung out cloth that I used for dishes and now I'm on the way to toss it in the laundry. Sometimes I use a paper towel and sometimes I use a dust cloth or feather duster. It is happy with all of them.

I have the Telo that has fewer icons than the original one did and it has a suede like finish.

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Mine also does not sit in the sun at all, is occasionally dry dusted, and a few times just wiped off with a damp rag. I have numerous electronic items that I've also had for years that are suffering this same sticky fate, and from what I have able to find on line, there is apparently no cure for the problem, short of replacing the device. Obviously these rubberized finishes are low cost, and not designed to be durable over time. It's just sad when a company chooses to have a known low end manufacturer like Vtech make their equipment, knowing full well that it will ultimately fail in one way or another, and then continue to source their equipment despite knowing that it is junk. Perfect example of planned obsolescence I'd say, and a way to force you into buying more of their products, which is the same as paying more for the service.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:03 pm

I have used Mother's Back to Black with some success. The product is available at auto parts stores and Walmart. It's made to clean the various black plastic trim on cars. I use it on my pro audio speaker cabinets and guitar amps. It seemed to work OK on my Telo2 but I had to re-clean the surface with kitchen spray on my Telo1. Both look great now with no stickiness.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.