ooma telo panel getting sticky

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
MrJon
Re: ooma telo panel getting sticky

Post by MrJon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:18 am

I notice the same thing today. It's really sticky/tacky, and was impossible to dust. I used Goof Off, which you can get in any hardware store. It took several applications. I think now that it's clean, I'm guessing in a few years it will start to degrade again and get sticky. I'm thinking of putting saran wrap over the thing, so I can get the dust off later... the things we go through!

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:25 pm

Will give the Back to Black a try. Thanks. I'll let you know how it works on mine.
I don't mind getting old, but my body is taking it badly

martinz

Post by martinz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:41 pm

I have the exact same problem and same unit (first gen). The unit has never been in the sun and has been cleaned regularly over the years. I've seen this on a few other items that use a rubberized plastic before. Found an article that says you can rub such with Talcum powder. It works a little but if you try to wipe it down with a damp cloth afterwards it goes right back to being sticky. I too used some auto black rubber/trim restore and it does work, but still not great. Again if you then try to clean it with a damp cloth, right back to sticky. I wish Ooma offered a trade-in option for this sticky issue.

allo

Post by allo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:42 pm

Anything made in China with Plastic will become rubbery and sticky sooner or later... and who knows maybe toxic, if you don't wash hands after touching.

allo

Post by allo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:44 pm

martinz wrote:I have the exact same problem and same unit (first gen). The unit has never been in the sun and has been cleaned regularly over the years. I've seen this on a few other items that use a rubberized plastic before. Found an article that says you can rub such with Talcum powder. It works a little but if you try to wipe it down with a damp cloth afterwards it goes right back to being sticky. I too used some auto black rubber/trim restore and it does work, but still not great. Again if you then try to clean it with a damp cloth, right back to sticky. I wish Ooma offered a trade-in option for this sticky issue.

don't count on it...
If anything sticky made in china is returned, all of china would go bankrupt.

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:23 pm

Notice how admin has chosen to have exactly no input regarding this problem? Guess I'll just stick it out (pun intended) till they finally dump the fake rubber face units. Meanwhile, since there are no other viable options, I believe I'll try a sheet of plastic wrap and see how that works. Update: The plastic wrap works just fine. A little wrinkly in places, so I'll play around with it to see if I can smooth it out a bit. The touch sensor buttons all work perfectly, and now the wife will be able to dust it to her hearts content

oomaprime

Post by oomaprime » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Hey! Merry Christmas! I hadn't cleaned my Ooma in a while and today found the sticky rubber face plate! I successfully removed sticky rubber film on an old camera leaving shiny plastic underneath using rubbing alcohol. But this stuff is thick and it didn't work. Way past warranty too. Decided to go hardcore and now I have a white Ooma! I used acetone which didn't affect the white plastic- only the rubber. Took a good while though. Pretty darn happy with it.

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:10 am

So, have you memorized what each button does, or just keep a cheat sheet next to the telo as a guide :?:

oomaprime

Post by oomaprime » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:00 pm

I pretty much have the buttons memorized. Have had the unit a while. But I admit I have a picture downloaded just in case :D I'm really glad I did this. The rubber was really sticky and I didn't want to cover it with plastic or watch it collect dust and dirt. One plus is the blinking call received button is now very bright and impossible to miss. Before, I often overlooked the little light and didn't know i had messages..

pamela.parks

Post by pamela.parks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for posting this. It is really good to know that my unit going sticky was not something weird in our environment. I work with units in an office in another building and at home. The home unit is perfect.... it lives in a dark corner and is the older of the two. The office unit is in a window with intense light and it is the sticky one. The plastic wrap answer will have to be the solution as we have volunteers and folks who rarely use it.