ooma telo panel getting sticky

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
metzmatt
Re: ooma telo panel getting sticky

Post by metzmatt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 am

I found a solution for cleaning the Ooma telo, although it's still a lot of work.

Use a Mr. Clean MAGIC ERASER cleaning pad, and dip it in rubbing alcohol. It will take significant scrubbing, but it will eventually remove the sticky goo from the surface. As soon as the portion of the pad is covered with black, you need to move to a clean spot on the pad. Quick, firm scrubbing will do the job. Suggest you disconnect your Telo temporarily while doing this because you need to clean the buttons and the areas around the buttons as well.

I sure wish Ooma would find a hard surface that doesn't deteriorate like this. What a mess!

Sunshine76963

Post by Sunshine76963 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:16 pm

WOW! This really worked! I cut the Magic Eraser into smaller pieces and dipped them into a bowl of rubbing alcohol. The ME did turn black, like you said, but the end result is a perfectly smooth telo. I have the earlier model with no raised buttons. I also unplugged it, like you suggested, so it took a minute or so to reboot, but I'm thrilled with how smooth and un-sticky it is now. Thank you, SOOOOOO much!!!

tsloane

Post by tsloane » Sun May 21, 2017 12:44 pm

My Ooma is also stccky and impossible to clean. Since Ooma doesn't have anything to say on the topic, I assume it is poorly designed materiel and buying a unit from a different supplier is the way to go. That's what I intend to do!

briadams

Post by briadams » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:35 am

I did not have success with water, an ammonia solution, or a Dawn solution. I had better success spraying a towel with Endust and cleaning the panel with that. It was significantly better, but not perfect as it still was faintly tacky to the touch. I also tried using a car wax on it to seal the surface. [Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax] That worked about as well as the Endust. There remained that faint tacky feeling on the surface. I do remember that the panel felt this way new -- so that may be as good as it gets. I wonder what would happen if you sprayed it with Rustoleum 2x Clear gloss spray paint for plastic?

briadams

Coat the panel with Rustoleum 2x Clear Spray Paint for plast

Post by briadams » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Coating the panel with Rustoleum 2x Clear Spray Paint for plastic, 2 coats, worked very well and sealed the surface. Before you paint it, clean it a couple of times with rubbing alcohol and a clean, lint free cloth. Let it dry, then paint. Clean thereafter with a mild cleaner - like Windex. No more tacky feeling, no more heavy, nasty dust collecting. Wow. I am pleased. Finally, something that actually worked.

stevepow

Post by stevepow » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:22 am

Mine super sticky too. That's why I came to this post. It's a junk finish. Maybe I give the Rust-Oleum a try.
steve
comcast<->linksys router<->ooma hub<->ooma scout

stevepow

Post by stevepow » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:29 am

Mine's the older version - sad to see that the Telo 2 is no better. :cry: :x
steve
comcast<->linksys router<->ooma hub<->ooma scout

therealderek

Post by therealderek » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:05 pm

OK GUYS! I just happened to try GOOF OFF Pro Strength Remover. It was a Hail Mary, but it worked! Like you all, I was desperate trying to get the sticky stuff off my Ooma base. Here's what I did.

1. Used Clorox wipes.
2. Used Goof Off on the Clorox Wipes. Just a dab.
3. Start wiping and voilà! Sticky stuff gone.

I hope this can help someone out, too! My wife couldn't believe it herself.
Attachments
IMG_2019.jpg
Pictures of the base.
IMG_2019.jpg (63.41KiB)Viewed 33965 times

lwaltz

Post by lwaltz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:56 pm

I tried several techniques, like Goo Gone, but it only softened it. My best answer was a spray degreaser and it worked well. So if anyone can't get the other fixes to work, just get some degreaser from the auto supply. It didn't seem to do any harm to the surface.

They should never have made this unit with such a poor surface material.

jtvarro

Post by jtvarro » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:06 pm

I had the same problem, and after doing some online research I found something that works...

1. unplug the three cables from the back of your Ooma telo (ethernet cable, telephone jack, and power supply line). Make a note of which input jack your ethernet cable was plugged into.

2, mix up a small amount of approximately equal amounts of water and baking soda (e.g. 1 teaspoon of each) to make a thick paste.

3. using only your fingers, spread and rub this paste thoroughly across the Ooma screen. Keep rubbing. After a short while, you should begin to notice patches of the sticky "gunk" beginning to clump. You may need to use your fingernails to help scrape these clumps into small piles that can be removed with a clean cloth or paper towel.

4. After getting the worst of the clumps of sticky residue removed, use a damp (NOT WET) paper towel to clean the remaining residue from the screen. Use caution to avoid getting any excess water under the edge of the screen.

5. At this point, your screen will probably look dull and lusterless. As a finishing touch, I put just a small drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid on a paper towel and wiped this over the screen to restore the sheen to the screen.

6. Let everything sit for about 15 minutes to thoroughly dry and reinstall your Ooma device by plugging in the 3 cables removed in step 1.