Blinking fast red, no service

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jacque
Blinking fast red, no service

Post by jacque » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:29 pm

My Telo has been working flawlessly for 5 years. Three days ago I switched from Comcast to CenturyLink fiber 100MB. The moment the new modem came online the Telo started blinking fast red. I have been unable to re-establish service for 3 days.

Here is its condition:

Logo blinks red, very fast, no pauses
Blue lights are lit: call, page, 1,2
Line lights: solid green and flickering orange

I have restarted it more times than I can count. I also tried to factory-reset it but couldn't find the right combination. I tried the instructions to hold Trash and Stop during startup but it just kept blinking. The Telo is an older model, it has an envelope icon on the front.

My LAN router shows it is connected and has an IP address.

How can I re-establish a connection, and what do the lights mean?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Blinking fast red, no service

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17085

Do you mean the top 3 lights are blue in addition to line 1/2? That means the telo has an IP address but can't connect to Ooma services. Does this CenturyLink device have a built-in router? If so check the firewall settings.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:21 pm

It's hard to tell, the blue lights are very dim, but the middle one doesn't look as bright as the other two. I tried to increase the brightness but nothing happens.

I logged into the CenturyLink modem over the weekend and all ports are open by default. I asked the tech support about the ports and they also said they do not block any ports.

Then the CenturyLink modem went out last night so I have reverted to our Comcast modem (we kept both services for a while.) Everything else on the LAN is working but the Ooma still can't get a connection and is still blinking. All the same lights are still lit, though I re-powered it again. Should I factory reset it? And if so, how?

Thank you for your help.

EDIT: sorry, I just noticed the forum link you posted. I have the reset instructions, I'll try that.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 pm

I got through the reset sequence to where the logo flashed red/blue while I was holding down Trash and Stop. The logo never turned red. How long should it take to do that? I held the buttons for about five minutes.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Bumping this. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? I've been without the phone for 6 days.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 am

What happened after you released trash/stop? Did the telo reboot?
Is the Comcast device an integrated modem/router?

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:43 pm

I think I was finally able to reset the Telo, but I'm not sure. I held down the two buttons at the right time and waited a minute or two. The logo kept blinking (it never turned solid red) but it did finally reboot itself. I released the buttons and after it finished rebooting, the binking logo returned. It's been binking for 15 hours since. I double-checked the top blue lights last night, and you were right, all three are lit. It was easier to see in the dark. It seems clear that the Telo has an IP but can't connect to Ooma.

The Comcast modem is my own, and is not an integrated modem/router. It just passes the broadband signal to my LAN router, which shows the Telo has an IP. It is the same modem that has been working fine with the Telo for a couple of years.

The CenturyLink modem does route its signal to connected devices. In my case these are the TV cable box, my LAN router, and a wireless TV receiver. We have three computers and six handheld devices that all connect to the internet okay. Only the Telo fails. I suspected the CenturyLink router at first because the Telo started blinking as soon as we changed providers, but now that I can't restore it with the same Comcast connection I've had for years, I think something else must be wrong.

Help? The Telo is my business line and it has been out for a week now. I'm relying on voice messages to get calls.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:31 pm

You say the telo has an IP address so trash/envelope are definitely off on the telo, correct?

Other suggestions:
1. try connecting the telo to a different known good router port with a known good cable.
2. power down the telo and comcast modem - wait like 30min, then power up the modem, wait for service lights, then attach the telo directly to the modem and power it up.
3. as a last resort could try hooking up the telo to a friend's router.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. The envelope and trash icons are definitely off. I will try the other things you mention and see what happens.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:39 pm

I have been unable to get my Telo working for the last month and it is still dead. I need to know the correct preference settings that will always send me email when I get a call.

I put a cell phone number into the forwarding field in prefs and selected "when my telo is offline" (which it always is now) but no calls show up in the call list since Feb 3. What are the correct settings that will ensure that I get email sent when I miss a call?

This is becoming fairly urgent, I would appreciate any advice. I have removed the forwarding number from prefs, hoping that email notifications would happen automatically.

Do I still have service?