Prefix of 1 before a telephone #

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
anant11
Prefix of 1 before a telephone #

Post by anant11 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi:
I have just installed OOMA hub and I have just registered in this forum.
My system: cable modem -OOMA hub -- router. I do not have a landline and I have not installed Scout.
I have connected my Panasonic wireless system DECT 6.0 to the base of hub.
I had a phone book set up sometime ago in my Panasonic handsets with telephone #s ( just 20 numbers for test purpose) XXX-YYY-ZZZZ without prefix of 1.
I have used this phone book with MagicJack and also Vonage with no problems.
But with OOMA system I get a busy signal when I try use this phone book. But when I key in a telephone # with 1 prefixed the calls go thru. My question is: Does OOMA system require telephone #s with prefix of 1 ? If that is the case, I can edit the phone book and any new entries I can prefix a 1 before a telephione #. That is not a big deal.
When an incoming call comes, I notice the CallerID # comes with XXX-YYY-ZZZZ with no 1 prefixed. I cannot press this # to answer the call. I have to edit this # with a 1 prefixed. This is cumbersome.
I wonder if there is any setting in the system which appends a 1 automatically before a telephone #.
Any suggestions ?

anant

trim81

Re: Prefix of 1 before a telephone #

Post by trim81 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:34 pm

anant11 wrote:Hi:
I have just installed OOMA hub and I have just registered in this forum.
My system: cable modem -OOMA hub -- router. I do not have a landline and I have not installed Scout.
I have connected my Panasonic wireless system DECT 6.0 to the base of hub.
I had a phone book set up sometime ago in my Panasonic handsets with telephone #s ( just 20 numbers for test purpose) XXX-YYY-ZZZZ without prefix of 1.
I have used this phone book with MagicJack and also Vonage with no problems.
But with OOMA system I get a busy signal when I try use this phone book. But when I key in a telephone # with 1 prefixed the calls go thru. My question is: Does OOMA system require telephone #s with prefix of 1 ? If that is the case, I can edit the phone book and any new entries I can prefix a 1 before a telephione #. That is not a big deal.
When an incoming call comes, I notice the CallerID # comes with XXX-YYY-ZZZZ with no 1 prefixed. I cannot press this # to answer the call. I have to edit this # with a 1 prefixed. This is cumbersome.
I wonder if there is any setting in the system which appends a 1 automatically before a telephone #.
Any suggestions ?

anant

Yes Ooma system requires dialing +1.

For some telephone systems, you can change the phonebook style or caller ID style to include a +1 with incoming caller ID calls.. my Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless set has this option.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Are these local calls or long distance calls (I know, kind of an archaic question these days)? Whether ooma allows you to dial local calls without a 1 depends on what area code your phone number is located in. In general though, all long-distance calls through ooma require a 1. I think there have been other requests to allow 10-digit dialing for all calls, like cell phones. It's on our to-do list.

anant11

Post by anant11 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi:

Thanks for your prompt reply. I will keep prefix 1 for all calls local or long distance. I will make necessary changes in my phone book set up in my telephone system.

anant