Call on hold and call waiting

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
anant11
Call on hold and call waiting

Post by anant11 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi:
I have just now installed OOMA hub and registered in the forum.
My system: cable modem- OOMA hub - Router.
No Scout - No landline. A Panasonic wireless system connected to the hub.
The system seems to be working fine and I am able to make / receive calls.
I do not want to try the new features such as a second line of Premier at this present time.
With this very basic system, I made 2 calls from 2 different phones to the OOMA hub and simulated CallerID and "Call waiting" situations. First call I see callerID and name, and the second call " call waiting with ID and name on the screen. But I did not notice the flashing on the "Call waiting" button in the handset. Do I have to hook up just Scout to make these features work or I should get a second line using a Scout with Premier.
I would appreciate if anyone could help me on this.

Thanks in anticipation of reply.

anant

trim81

Re: Call on hold and call waiting

Post by trim81 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:33 pm

anant11 wrote:Hi:
I have just now installed OOMA hub and registered in the forum.
My system: cable modem- OOMA hub - Router.
No Scout - No landline. A Panasonic wireless system connected to the hub.
The system seems to be working fine and I am able to make / receive calls.
I do not want to try the new features such as a second line of Premier at this present time.
With this very basic system, I made 2 calls from 2 different phones to the OOMA hub and simulated CallerID and "Call waiting" situations. First call I see callerID and name, and the second call " call waiting with ID and name on the screen. But I did not notice the flashing on the "Call waiting" button in the handset. Do I have to hook up just Scout to make these features work or I should get a second line using a Scout with Premier.
I would appreciate if anyone could help me on this.

Thanks in anticipation of reply.

anant
I am guessing its because your OOma Premiere service is still active (trial period) and the second incoming call is being forwarded to your scout.

You can give tech support a call and see if this is the case, and if so then have them disable the premiere service

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:07 pm

Your Panasonic phone has a call-waiting button/indicator that flashes when call-waiting is triggered? Can you point me to the specific model?

Do you hear a beep on the first call when the second call comes in? You should, and should be able to hit flash to answer the second call. The Instant Second Line should not affect how call-waiting works when you do not have a Scout plugged in.

anant11

Post by anant11 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi Dennis:

Thanks for your prompt response.

My Panasonic telephone model is KX-TG1032S.
From what I understand from your reply is for the "Call on hold" and "CallWaiting" functions to perform, there is no need to hook up a Scout or an instant second line. Is that true?

With the first call going on , when a second call comes I hear a beep and I see Call waiting with the caller ID on the screen. But I do not see flashing light on the "CallWait" button in the handset. That could be a problem.
Now if I press the "CallWait" button, will I be responding to the Waiting call while the first call is on hold ? Now if I press the "callWait" button again will I get back to my first call that was on hold ? If this is all correct, in other words can I be alternating between first and second call by pressing the "CallWait button ?

Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

anant

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Yes, the Call Waiting key (also the "Flash" key) will do exactly what you describe above.

I'm very surprised that the key lights up though - did it do this when connected to a different phone service (I think you mentioned in a different thread that you had Vonage before)? We have used quite a few Panasonic phones in our testing (although I don't think we have your exact model) and I haven't seen this yet.

anant11

Post by anant11 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:42 am

Hi Dennis:

There is some misunderstanding here. The only question I have is : Does the Flash/Call Wait button light up or not when Call is waiting ?

I noticed that it does not light up in both cases of OOMA and Vonage. The Call Wait ID comes up with a beep in both OOMA and Vonage.
I somehow thought the flash/Callwait button should light up when a call is waiting as an indicator on dial pad. It is perhaps mistakenly.

anant

I tried connecting with Vonage phone. The flash button does not light up just as in the case of OOMA. Is it normal ?

I hear a beep with Call waiting ID on screen in both with OOMA and Vonage.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:14 am

No, I don't think the Call Waiting key will light up. I took a look at the user manual for your phone and it didn't indicate that it would either.