If I cancel Ooma can I keep my number?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
dhr_ooma
Re: If I cancel Ooma can I keep my number?

Post by dhr_ooma » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks for pointing to a successful case of porting. However, I am not sure if this alone indicates that porting out of Ooma actually works. It certainly didn't work for me and my number is still stuck with Ooma. The request for porting was done by ATT Uverse. I do understand that Ooma like most companies is very conscious about its public image and the reputation of its support. But perhaps the right way to ensure this image is to make my porting case a success and have me report back on this forum that success story and not just point to some random successful port.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:44 am

Your new service provider submits port out request to Ooma's carrier. If they reject it with resolution required, the request doesn't just die. It is your new service provider's responsibility to get in touch with you to try to resolve the issues encountered. At this point, you can get with Ooma's porting dept to verify the info you need to provide to the new service provider so you can resolve.

dhr_ooma

Post by dhr_ooma » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:56 pm

I did get prompt feedback from ATT. They reported that the name listed is wrong. I then talked to Ooma support and they suggested using Ooma Inc as the name and Ooma's address as the address for this phone number while making the request. I did so, and once again ATT reported failure. After this began my prolonged 6 month effort to use every combination of my name, Ooma's name, my address and Ooma's address to make the transfer happen. None of this succeeded and each effort take a week to process. ATT patiently attempted each of these combinations. From Ooma, I only got the usual "it should work" response from support and nothing more. I would love to talk to the porting department as you suggested, but right now, I have little success getting past the "it should work" response to get that kind of service and support.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:41 pm

If you are serious about porting your number out of Ooma, don't mess with a landline/voip company as your new service provider. Get a wireless provider such as AT&T Wireless to port the number out for you. They'd text you at every juncture to call back for further action. Hours in turnaround vs days. They'll help you through each step of the way. Once you port out your number, you can keep your number as wireless or you can cancel (mostly within 30 days at not much cost to you) by porting out again to Uverse or whoever you want.

SMack63

Post by SMack63 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm just starting the nightmare of trying to get my number out of Ooma.
I called and specifically told them I wanted to port my number out and they verified MY address and said the account number is my phone number; phone# and address is all I need. No password or pin.
They watch you go away, secretly laughing inside with that smarmy overly pleasant attitude.
3 times tried to port it out, no luck.
Tech support plays the 'stupid' routine, verifying my data, and "It should work".
Got a bit insistent that they were holding something back, they opened a ticket and I got a response telling me to use the following when porting out:
xxxxxxxxxxOoma, Inc
1880 Embarcadero
Palo Alto, CA 9430
X's being my phone number. The address they emailed only has a 4 digit zip code. HUH.....
Why not just transfer me to the porting dept and give me correct answers up front or let the representatives tell the customers to NOT USE THEIR NAME AND ADDRESS?
This is like poking a stick in a hole and see if you hit anything.
ANY HOPE of ever getting customers back is LOST....
If you really want to try Ooma, port your number to Google voice and forward it to Ooma.
Then when you get tired of upgrading equipment at $150 a whack every few years you won't have to tussle with this bear.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:30 pm

SMack63 wrote: Then when you get tired of upgrading equipment at $150 a whack every few years you won't have to tussle with this bear.
It's currently around $90, with the 10% off coupon, on Amazon.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Agent99

Post by Agent99 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:48 pm

lbmofo wrote:
To look up who your carrier is, check here: http://tnid.us
Tried that 2011 link:
Gone

The requested resource
/
is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:32 pm

They went offline