Ooma still charging after a year

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
fmarrs7
Re: Ooma still charging after a year

Post by fmarrs7 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 am

Jumping on the train as I've been charged for nearly a year after canceling. Please cancel my account.

sgupta

Post by sgupta » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:40 am

I have cancelled my service multiple times and my credit card is still been charged. There is no option to remove the credit card. Please cancel my service.

Robek

Post by Robek » Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:32 pm

Posting a request on a user forum is not likely to help. However, Ooma explains how users can terminate their service, who to contact, how to resolve billing disputes, and more broadly, what they should expect from Ooma, (and vice versa). Users should read this first, to avoid making any mistakes.

Before users terminate their service, they should port any phone numbers they want to keep to a different carrier, and login to their 'My Ooma' account, to export any useful lists, or to make any final changes. They may not be able to do that later on, after they start the termination process.

Generally, whenever customers contact any business by phone, they should write down important details, like when the call occurred, whom they talked to, and what they discussed, and save that information for future reference. Similarly, they should save any important emails or other written correspondence.

When users are ready, they can contact Ooma's Customer Care department to notify Ooma that they are terminating their service, and to provide an explicit termination date. Ooma requires advance notice of at least five (5) working days, so the effective termination date can be anytime after that.

Users who aren't interested in any proposed counter offers should be prepared to firmly (but politely?) repeat for several minutes: "No thank you, just cancel my service, please". Afterwards, Ooma may or may not send a confirmation email, but users shouldn't bother waiting too long for that.

They can then follow up with their own email (or snail mail) to Ooma's billing department, to summarize the prior termination request, and more importantly, to provide written notice of intent to terminate Ooma's authority to continue charging to their credit or debit card, (effective 30 days after giving notice).

They should expect to pay any outstanding charges, but they should not expect to receive a pro-rated refund for unused services. (Anybody with an annual subscription for premium services, such as Premier, may want to consider switching to a monthly plan instead, well before they decide to terminate their service.)

Users should not try to cancel their card, report it lost or stolen, let it expire, replace it with a "virtual" card, or stop payment on any charges, just to thwart Ooma's collection efforts; otherwise, they may still be liable for any ongoing charges, valid or not, plus any additional collection costs, attorney fees, etc.

Instead, they should monitor their credit card activity for unexpected charges, (as should anyone with any credit card), and promptly report any disputed charges to Ooma's billing department, (within 30 days), or else they would waive their right to contest the disputed charges later on.

If they cannot resolve the billing dispute that way, then they should file a complaint with their local public utilities commission. They shouldn't consider bothering random government agencies, or other consumer organizations, without first understanding exactly what these other entities could do to help them.