Outgoing calls not from me

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
scottinaz
Outgoing calls not from me

Post by scottinaz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:33 pm

I have noticed the call log for my ooma on my.ooma.com shows several outgoing calls that I did not make. I have tried changing my password and they continue about every 9 days there are four or five calls. Has anyone else seen this problem and know how this happens?

thanks

scottinaz

murphy

Re: Outgoing calls not from me

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 am

Do you have any of the following?
TiVo
ReplayTV
Alarm System
Medical device that periodically transmits data to a doctor
Anything that makes automated calls to its manufacturer

The Telo can't make a phone call by itself.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

scottinaz

Post by scottinaz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:42 am

NO, I don't have any of those things. I don't believe any of these calls originated from my Telo.

My concern is that someone has hacked into the OOMA system and is using my account to make phone calls. I am not sure how the Telo authenticates itself to the OOMA telco system but perhaps there is a way to spoof that authentication.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this on their OOMA call log.

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 pm

The Telo can't make calls by itself and there's no provision to make calls even if someone "hacked into your account".

Is the number dialed always the same one? What is it?
Steve

scottinaz

Post by scottinaz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 pm

There is no specific number but a variety of them as well as a variety of durations.
For example on Feb 19 there were calls to 8336982566, 8669283075, 8887662484
On Feb 7 8882135349
I am not sure exactly how the OOMA system works but I assume my Telo connects to some device to process calls. In a telco system my phone would connect to a switch, in the OOMA system I assume it connects to something like a media gateway controller. When something connects to this device (media gateway controller, etc) how does this device know it is my Telo? if this authentication is somehow spoofed they could make calls and it would appear in the call logs to be from my telo even though they were not. I am not sure if this can happen in the OOMA system but from the call logs this appears to be happening.

I know it is probably unusual for people to look at their call logs but I am wondering if this is happening to others.

thanks

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:39 am

Those are all numbers for credit card companies. Google the numbers to see which ones. Are you certain those weren't incoming calls?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 am

The Ooma Telo establishes an encrypted VPN connection to Ooma's servers. Due to the way the encryption is implemented, it can't be fooled into connecting somewhere else. The actual connection to the phone network happens through services Ooma contracts with.

murphy asks a good question. It is possible that the log entries are incorrect - I'd more easily believe that than a hack - but you'd need to involve Ooma support to have it checked out.
Steve

scottinaz

Post by scottinaz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Well, they show up in the log as outgoing but I suppose that is the problem.

It does not really impact me since I do not have any prepaid balance so all of my calls are free to me.

It does seem odd that I am the only one who has noticed this.

Thanks

DoubleBilled

Post by DoubleBilled » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Is anyone else getting double billed each month? ... and being insulted by Ooma repas because they won't look past our account number? Every month we are being billed twice from Ooma. When they refused to look beyond our account to see if another account was being charged to our payment method, we removed that credit card from Ooma's and replaced it with another source. So, now BOTH cards are being charged and they say only 1 is. They do not seem interested in researching why we are being billed twice each month,

Anyone else dealing with this headache!?

GWW

Post by GWW » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 pm

My OOMA call logs as of today are showing outbound calls being made every few minutes to many different area codes and phone numbers. Ooma tech support (did not see calls on their log) said it was my Comcast DVR, Comcast Advanced tech support said impossible, possibly Motorola modem, Motorola tech support said impossible configuration comes from router. ASUS router tech support said I can configure to block the device but that it is an OOMA system configuration issue, and calls are being auto dialed, which is why they are not showing up on logs tech support views. Comcast, Motorola nor ASUS tech support logs have had this problem logged.

Calls were still being made during these tech support calls and some of the calls have been returned (phone rings and number shows up in log) so it is not a log problem....any ideas; would seem to be a very significant security flaw?