Moving with Ooma hub & scout

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
MsCoulter
Moving with Ooma hub & scout

Post by MsCoulter » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:39 pm

I have the original ooma hub with scout. I am going to be moving to a much smaller place and will not have a telephone jack, a network cable and an outlet near each other. I don't see how I can install the ooma to the new place, but I will have access to wifi. Can I just keep it uninstalled and retrieve messages from my email or will my service be canceled due to lack of usage? Eventually I will be in another place where I can install it but that is 1-2 years away. What do I need to do to keep my service active? Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

murphy

Re: Moving with Ooma hub & scout

Post by murphy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:20 am

After 6 months of not being connected your account will be canceled. Connect the Hub to an internet cable. Use an extension cord to get power to it. Buy a cordless phone system and connect the base to the Hub. Connection to a wall telephone jack has never been necessary, except for the very early mistake of requiring a land line. The cordless handset(s) can be placed wherever you want one.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 am

Thank you. I can do that, but doesn't the original hub and scout require an unused phone line? Was there a version before that did?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:00 am

There was a version that was supposed to use an attached phone line to permit other people to use your system to make local phone calls. That was gone around mid 2009. I had a Hub for years and nothing was ever connected to that phone jack on the Hub from a phone company. I did use it to interface two Scouts to the Hub using isolated wires through my walls. In your current situation, if you want to use a Scout, connect a phone wire directly from the jack on the Hub to the jack on the Scout.

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:56 pm

I got my ooma in November 2009, so this could be tricky. In my current house, The dead phone line was used so I could attach traditional handsets, and also for the scout so I could retrieve messages from upstairs. The new house is 2 family and the phone line near where the router resides is active, so I can't use it. I hope that I can simply attach one main phone and plug into an extension cord so that I can keep my account alive. Otherwise it could get complicated and costly to run a network cable to the side with the dead phone line. Will I need to do anything else because of the location change? I won't need 911 service because there is another active landline I can use. Thanks so much for your help.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:20 pm

If you don't need the Scout in this location just connect a phone, regular or cordless base, to the Hub. Power it with an extension cord and connect to an internet cable.

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:44 pm

I just want to keep the service alive, so I will do what you suggested in about 2 weeks. thanks again!

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 am

Hello again Mr Murphy & thanks so much for the advice. I set it up as you suggested and it works great. I used a Dect 6 phone so I was able to put more extensions in other rooms without using the Scout. I was also wondering if I could get it to my fax machine for sending faxes again as it is in the same room as the hub. Would running an RJ11 modular line from the OOMA's port marked "wall" do it? Before, the line went into the wall jack and I picked it up that way, but there's no wall jack here I can use. Thanks again!

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 am

No, there is no dial tone on that jack. Connect that jack directly to the wall jack on a Scout and then connect the Scout's phone jack to the fax machine. That will get you a dial tone. Whether it will work or not I don't know. I sent my last fax at least 20 years ago.

MsCoulter

Post by MsCoulter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:10 pm

There is no wall jack near the ooma hub, so not possible. Thank you anyway. I have free online fax service for the occasional need. I was just hoping for the convenience.