Ooma updates, when and how are they done...........

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
testy
Ooma updates, when and how are they done...........

Post by testy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:19 pm

I watch for updates on my account, as they sometimes cause mischief with my service.

I have been with #262304 since about 3-8-18.

There has been 4 updates since then.

Should I even care and pursue this, or let sleeping dogs lie?

:o :? :cry: :?: :|

murphy

Re: Ooma updates, when and how are they done...........

Post by murphy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:47 am

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" works for me.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

testy

Post by testy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:41 am

So I see that a few more updates have been sprinkled into the on-deck lineup since my original question.

I hoped that by now TOM B would have perhaps replied with a nice tutorial or a brief summary...

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:51 pm

"'I watch for updates on my account, as they sometimes cause mischief with my service.

I have been with #262304 since about 3-8-18.

There has been 4 updates since then.

Should I even care and pursue this, or let sleeping dogs lie?"

The only suggestion I have would be to unplug the power supply and then plug it back in.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

NdnaJnz

Post by NdnaJnz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Updates? Yes please, but careful what you wish for...

I have 2 Ooma Telo's; one for home phone and one for my business phone. Sitting in my home office yesterday, I went to make a business call and that line had no dialtone. The Ooma Telo logo was solid blue. Hmm... Trying the simple and quick route first, I unplugged that Telo for 1 minute and back in. All good.

About 4 hours later, I noticed the other (home line) Telo blinking red. I watched it for a bit and noticed it was blinking red 4 times for about 5 minutes - not part of the standard boot sequence. I went back to work and noticed it was solid blue about 10 minutes later. I don't really know how long it took to "sync" up.

My point: All is good today so, for the heck of it, I just checked the firmware versions of both Telo's and they are both at the latest 321621. I never noticed either Telo blinking purple yesterday so, not sure when they were updated. So, now I don't know if there is an issue with the latest update (321621) or if my Telo's were updated last night and that has nothing to do with the weird stuff I saw on both yesterday.

It would be nice to have at a minimum, a notification in my.ooma.com>Preferences>Devices that shows the time & date of the last time the device was updated and the firmware version of that update. (An email to me or a voicemail left on that phone line would be even better. - Or both!)

Also, when viewing Preferences>Devices, I would expect to see some info about the device, more than just the phone number(s) and the device name. Having the current firmware version displayed there would be very helpful.

Jeff
----------

testy

Post by testy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi Jeff;

I agree with your reply 100%.

A chronological update "Log" would be a great addition to the setup page.

To have the option to select applicable updates, and when they are installed would be wonderful.

As a fail-safe, to also have the option to roll back to the previous "last known working configuration" would the the cat's meow.

I just know the Admin's are reading this post and probably have some input.

They must just be a little shy..........

NdnaJnz

Post by NdnaJnz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:14 pm

testy -

Actually, I wouldn't necessarily want the update info in the Setup page; that requires hooking up an ethernet cable from the Home port to a computer, and that's not exactly handy whenever my Telo is acting funkily (almost certain that's a real word - no need to look it up.) And, what if I'm not at home or out of town and things don't appear to be working right? I would have no way to connect that cable. I'm pretty sure the "Devices" page in my.ooma.com actually connects to the device in realtime to query its status. For instance, if you disconnect your Telo, the status on that Devices page will say "Disconnected." That is the best place to display information you may need to quickly determine what's going on.

testy

Post by testy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Well here we go.............

Today I see that I now have version #328221, which is a forward jump of 6 updates.

Pretty big leap for an update, if I may add.

Still 3 steps behind from the current revision.

Crossing my fingers that everything keeps working.

FireFish

Post by FireFish » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 pm

testy wrote:Well here we go.............

Today I see that I now have version #328221, which is a forward jump of 6 updates.

Pretty big leap for an update, if I may add.

Still 3 steps behind from the current revision.

Crossing my fingers that everything keeps working.
Because the geniuses at Ooma reading this forum probably pushed it out to you individually to shut you up.

testy

Post by testy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Wow - I am now running #332188, the most current version.

Another huge leap of 3 versions.

I guess they really want to shut me up.....