Just Picked Up Ooma DP1 Desk Phone My Thoughts.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
robertm101
Just Picked Up Ooma DP1 Desk Phone My Thoughts.

Post by robertm101 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:36 am

Hello All,
I picked up a DP1 desk phone for my Telo 2 so I could use it in my home office and I wanted to give me thoughts so far. Unboxing the and setting up the desk phone was a breeze, my Telo paired it up right away. After receiving the updates I was off. The keypad buttons for dialing out are a bit stiff and you have to use some pressure to push them, but maybe in time it will soften up. When you pick up the hand set there's a 4 second delay before you hear the dial tone, and when you dial a number you don't hear each number that you are pressing. The handset volume is too low and a little tough to hear even at max volume, but the speaker phone volume is perfect. Maybe ooma can send a fix for that through an update.
You also have a menu mode that allows you to set up your phone directory, check log logs and change settings.
The only issue within the settings menu is the option to turn key click off an on, for some reason you can not select to turn it on.
You can tell there is still a few bugs that need to be worked out, but for now the phones has a nice feel and lok to it.
I was a beta tester for Ooma back in 2009, user name ram102, but am having issues with getting back into my account so I had to create a new account for now. I emailed Tom, but was told there's a problem with the login lockout reset.
I will post any other issues I find while using the des phone.

TeamApple

Re: Just Picked Up Ooma DP1 Desk Phone My Thoughts.

Post by TeamApple » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:52 pm

I received my DP1 for the Telo today. I am impressed with the build quality. It feels solid and the key presses are firm. It looks and feels like a top-end office phone. Overall, I am happy with it. Setup was quick and simple just like the HD3 cordless handsets. The line 1 and line 2 buttons for the Instant Second Line feature are nice. My only complaint is the receiver volume. It is way too low when set to maximum volume. I really hope the low volume issue can be fixed through an update in the near future. The speakerphone though has great volume and sound quality.

If Ooma can fix the low receiver volume issue the DP1 will definitely be a 5-star product!

robertm101

Post by robertm101 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:22 am

I'm glad i'm not the only one with the volume issue.

TeamApple

Post by TeamApple » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:06 am

Same. I had even thought of buying a second phone just to see if I got a fluke regarding the low volume issue but sounds like it’s an actual problem with all.

robertm101

Post by robertm101 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:24 am

This is something that can be fixed with an update. Let's hope someone is listening.

fgallope

Post by fgallope » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:18 pm

I received the phone about a week or so ago. The phone has some good features and the speaker phone is fine. However the handset audio is just plain awful! Very scratchy. Seems it is being over-driven by the base unit. I substituted another receiver from a desk phone I had and it works fine so its not the base but the handset itself. I received a warranty replacement handset from Ooma after filing a tech support request.. Unfortunately, it it is the same with the exchange so it is a design flaw with the handset itself. :( I wonder if they were aware of the low volume complaints and pushed out a firmware update to increase the amplification but now it is over-driving the handset and causing distortion. :?:

Also, it is NOT a true two line phone despite it having buttons for line 1 and line 2. I have a Telo and a LYNX (with a different phone number). I was hoping to set line 1 up with my Telo's number (home) and line 2 (which I use for my home office) with my Lynx number - no can do. The base only registers with one or the other - not both. I called OOMA tech support and they confirmed that it is not possible to have two numbers on the phone. Would be nice if in a future firmware update it could register with two lines.

robertm101

Post by robertm101 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:58 pm

fgallope, good catch on the handset. I also tried a different handset and it seems to sound better. If this is the case I hope Ooma will send out revised handsets to people who purchased the DP1 asap. I still have time to return my DP1 before the warranty is up.
Fingers crossed.

TeamApple

Post by TeamApple » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:57 pm

What alternate handsets are you guys using? I want to buy a new handset that looks similar to the original and fits in the cradle properly to see how well it improves the low volume issue. Any suggestions?

robertm101

Post by robertm101 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:24 pm

I just used an old Cisco handset to test it, but it doesn't fit in the cradle. I'm actually returning the DP1 back to Amazon because i'm not getting any help from Ooma on a fix.
In the past when I was beta testing the Hub and Telo for Ooma we would make sure that everything worked great before releasing the product.
The issue with the DP1 is an obvious problem that should have been resolve before release.
I have a short return window and don't want to be stuck with something that I can't use. I'll just wait a year before Ooma works out the kinks.

TeamApple

Post by TeamApple » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:17 am

Gotcha. Sounds like a good idea returning it. Its disappointing Ooma would allow a product like this to go to market. It’s a phone. Being able to hear on the DP1 should have been one of their priorities.