New HD3 handset says "charging" but stays at 50%

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
NewTeloGuy
New HD3 handset says "charging" but stays at 50%

Post by NewTeloGuy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Hello all,

New Telo 2 Air working just fine. Included HD3 handset (the Costco package) is nice, other than mediocre speakerphone quality.

The problem is that the handset won't charge beyond 50%. Have used both the included batteries and a new set of niMH 1.2 batteries. Charged it overnight after unboxing and it stayed at 50%, so I put in new batteries, put it on the cradle and it was at 100%..

Used the phone for about a 30-minute call today. Started at 100%, ended (surprisingly) at 50%, and is now still at 50% after awhile on the cradle. The phone does say "charging" and show the charging icon. (If one of these works correctly, what charging percentages should it show?)

is the handset defective? Any troubleshooting steps? Will have to return it to Costco with the Telo as they came together.

Thank you.

murphy

Re: New HD3 handset says "charging" but stays at 50%

Post by murphy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:32 pm

I have not seen an HD3 but the charge indication for an HD2 is 5 values: 0, 25, 50, 75, 100%.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jlsenter

Post by jlsenter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:44 am

The HD3 handset received from the costco package working fine. I purchased a HD3 two pack and both units experiencing the same problem you have described. I did additional testing by swapping charger bases, charger transformers, and finally wall outlets. After you remove the batteries and reset the handset they go back to 100% and seem to be working fine. However, at some point they go back to "charging" with a red indicator. Remove it from the base, then place back in the cradle. Says charging at 50%. Will stay there until I remove the batteries. They goes back to 100%. Ooma replacing both units. Will post the development.

NewTeloGuy

Post by NewTeloGuy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks for your info. I just received a replacement handset directly from Ooma yesterday and am monitoring it to see how it does. I let it charge overnight, showed the charging icon throughout, now says 100% will the full green bar icon, will use it for a couple days and see how it does. Will also post back with an update.

NewTeloGuy

Post by NewTeloGuy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:36 am

My replacement HD3 device seemed to work fine for about a week, much of which was not on the charging cradle. It is now it is exhibiting the same problematic behavior. Battery indicator went to halfway (never at 75%), so I put it on the cradle, showed the charging icon, then 12 hours later was still showing a half-power red icon off cradle, at 50% when placed back on the cradle, with the charging icon displayed again.

The indicator briefly showed green and 100%, then almost immediately went back to 50% and the charging icon, which is where it is now.

I have not yet tried taking the batteries out and putting them back in.

I just ordered two additional HD3 handsets via last week's promotion, don't have them yet, but concerned this will be an ongoing problem on all of them. Would be nice to know for sure how much power they each have without having to pop the batteries in and out all the time.

Is there anyone at Telo who can chime in here on this issue and if it's in the queue to be addressed via firmware or other update?

Thanks.

NewTeloGuy

Post by NewTeloGuy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:43 am

The issues with this device's power level continue. I left if off the charging station for a few days, used it normally. Soon it was showing 50%, and then it went to zero. The charge bar was empty, but the phone worked fine. When I put it on the charging station, it said "0%," and then within a few minutes it was at 50%. Soon thereafter, perhaps an hour, it was at 100%.

Clearly the handset does not properly display the actual amount of battery life. Never shows 75% or 25%, and there's no confidence in the actual level displayed.

I have just received two additional handsets which I let charge overnight. Have just connected the first one and it is doing a firmware update. Will do the same for the second new handset and then monitor all three.

As noted earlier in the thread, the first handset has already been replaced by Ooma, but it still has the same issue.

Would be great to hear from Ooma developers here on whether this is a known issue and if there will be a firmware or other update to address.

Thanks.

pamelaantonacci

Post by pamelaantonacci » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:07 pm

I have the same exact problem... seems like it will never get fixed....

jlsenter

Post by jlsenter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:07 am

I have an update as ooma sent me two replacement handsets. I only tested one of the replacements as it experienced the same behavior. Bottom line. Engineering identified as it being an "issue". Pulling the battery out resets the problem. However, their Engineering work around is to hold down on the red end key (hang up) for 3 seconds. This will shut the phone down and restart. They gave no indication as to whether they will have a permanent fix.

Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:10 pm

I have used Ooma for 8 years. Just bought new Ooma Telo 2 and HD3 kit from Costco. Ooma Telo is fine but phone stays on 50% charge no matter how long it is on base. I have called support who sent new phone, no change, still 50% charging. Has anyone had this problem resolved?

akaisth

Post by akaisth » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 pm

I also purchased an HD3 handset from Costco with Telo Air, and an additional HD3 handset from Ooma. One of the handsets randomly switches to 50% charging mode/message periodically - even though the handset has not been used and remains on the cradle.....is Ooma planning to address/fix this?