Bug needs fixed! (Incompatible with Cloudflare DNS Servers)

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
though
Bug needs fixed! (Incompatible with Cloudflare DNS Servers)

Post by though » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 am

There is a bug that causes the WAN connection to drop when people use their Ooma Telo and Cloudflare DNS server (1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1). Please report this bug and get it fixed asap!

Please see these 2 threads where we discuss the issue!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21640

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeRoute ... 48#M203346

JDW

Re: Bug needs fixed! (Incompatible with Cloudflare DNS Servers)

Post by JDW » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 am

I was experiencing the same issues as you, I’ve have had Ooma for almost 10 years and then suddenly earlier this year I started having issues with my network. Being an IT pro for over 30 years I only use pro grade equipment for my network and am fairly certain that I understand how to manage & troubleshoot my network.

I had contacted Ooma support when I finally figured out that it was my telo causing my WAN performance issues when plugged into my network, after some very idiotic troubleshooting they agreed to replace my telo with a new unit given how old my device was. As soon as I plugged the new unit in, as you have said, “boom” my WAN when down.

I dug into my router sys log and performed some packet traces, I discovered that the telo was make an enormous amount of dns calls to google’s dns servers. It then dawned on me that the correlation of my issues started when I decided to stop using 8.8.8.8 & 8.4.4.8 for my network dns and instead switched to 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 for dns. So I changed my network DHCP settings back to using google’s dns servers, rebooted everything and “boom” my WAN performance returned to normal.

For the life of me I cannot get my mind wrapped around the reasoning for this, I am not blocking google’s dns, I’m not blocking any vpn connections, not blocking any ports, in fact I had reset my router to factory defaults using those settings that come out of the box and had exactly the same results switching between the two dns settings.

JDW

Post by JDW » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:38 am

+1 for dns fix

JDW

Post by JDW » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:27 pm

I’ve been contacted by tech support and they wanted me to know that “As per engineering what we do is use the ISP's DNS where the telo is currently connected on, then our DNS, then google as a fallback if all others fail.”

?Ok? Not sure how that fixes this issue

Hey tech support, the issue is that I want to be able to use the DNS servers of my choice, and when I do your device goes crazy flooding the router with dns requests to google servers and thusly causing the router to not be able to serve requests from other devices on my network, thusly bring down my network and blocking internet connections

though

Post by though » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Ooma needs to fix it's incompatibility with Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 public DNS servers which are becoming more and more popular. How many units have been swapped out, deemed "faulty" because of this fiasco?

JDW

Post by JDW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:34 am

well...now i'm perplexed...this morning I thought I would capture my router logs to help demonstrate this DNS issue, and after switching my DHCP settings to Cloudflare and rebooting my devices including the OOMA Telo, all seems fine. It did take the Telo a few minutes to calm down as it did consume all of my router's resources processing DNS requests to Google's servers, but after that...no more issues. In fact in watching the log for a bit I don't see the Telo making any requests to Google but instead to Cloudflare. Interesting. All I can think of is that OOMA pushed out an update recently to fix this issue.

So, while I am going to keep a close eye on my network, I am going to have to say that this issue is resolved, at least for me (your mileage may vary).

though

Post by though » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 am

From a phone that is connected to the Ooma, dial *#*#001. Report back what software version you are on. I am on 332188 and it doesn't play nice with Cloudflare. I probably only gave it a few minutes of total ping loss before I disconnected it though. How long did you give it to "cool down"?

JDW

Post by JDW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:33 am

I have same version on my telo, 332188. I gave it about 5 minutes.

though

Post by though » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Interesting. I'll give it a try again, probably tomorrow.

JDW

Post by JDW » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:34 am

update: one day later and everything is still working as expected. Looking through router logs shows the telo making proper dns requests and none to google.

Hope you are able to find some success as well.