Text messages don't bounce!!!

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Shutterstuff
Text messages don't bounce!!!

Post by Shutterstuff » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:57 pm

I just found out today that a commercial customer of mine has been sending me text messages for over a month. Of course I have not received them, but he is not getting a "Message not deliverable" reply!!!

This is a huge problem and needs to be fixed. I am now wondering how many messages I have missed over the years because of this broken setting in Ooma!!!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

murphy

Re: Text messages don't bounce!!!

Post by murphy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:44 am

The messages don't reach Ooma. Ooma is connected to the brick and mortar phone companies by the analog phone network. The analog phone network does not support text messaging. The cell phone company should be rejecting a text message when they determine the next destination is an analog phone company. They apparently don't bother.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Shutterstuff

Post by Shutterstuff » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:35 pm

When my number was a landline, text messages would bounce. It seems to be an Ooma problem not a landline issue. Ooma is conspicuously silent on this and tech support has no clue what I am talking about...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:19 pm

Yes, this is a problem. Senders of text messages to Ooma phone numbers should have some kind of notification that their text was not received.

Barkdust

Post by Barkdust » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:53 pm

I no longer recommend OOMA because of this issue. I've missed texts from a friend in the hospital, an important request to pickup a child, a message that my car was ready to be picked up (for 3 days) and probably many more that I simply never heard about. This is simply not ok. I used to love my OOMA system and recommend it to my friends and family. I can't do that until this issue is fixed.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Analog phone systems don't support text messaging. I can't get text massages on my Verizon land line either.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 pm

And I'm fairly certain, despite Verizon owning the infrastructure, they don't bounce texts to their own landline numbers... but I assume. People should probably stop assuming all phone systems support texts to avoid this frustration.