Multiring when caller is Ooma customer or forwarded call

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
doug
Multiring when caller is Ooma customer or forwarded call

Post by doug » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:42 am

First, let me say I absolutely love multi-ring, though I am really looking forward to one day having the option to not require a 1. And while I am as curious as the next guy when that may come to pass, my real question is about something else.

I understand there are at least two cases where multi-ring will not occur:

1) When the caller is another Ooma customer (i.e. behind a hub)

2) When the original caller has been forwarded to Ooma

I don't understand the reasoning for either of them. I love my Ooma and tell others about it. Yet if I get them to switch, my own phone will not multi-ring if they call me? That seems counter-productive in a way.

Is there a technical reason multiring can't be implemented on what would otherwise be an in-network call between two hubs? I understand that means routing the multiring call outside the network, and if answered, incurs call termination charges. But if I am not home, the caller would need to call my cell anyway, thus it would already have the same call termination aspects.

Secondly, when I first got my Ooma, in order to test call quality I forwarded my landline to my Ooma number. I also setup multi-ring, and when people called my landline both my hub and multi-line number would ring. Then in June (or maybe early July), it seems the hub started acting differently. Calls placed to my Ooma number directly would still multi-ring correctly, but calls placed to my landline which forwards to my Ooma number would not multi-ring anymore.

I saw this referred to in a post or knowledge base answer as Ooma "checking for diversion" and not doing the multi-ring. My question is why? This used to work until June or so. What is the purpose of not allowing multi-ring wit "diversion"? For that matter, how does Ooma even know the incoming call had been forwarded?

The diversion issue won't bother me once I can port my landline, but I have not been able to do that yet for reasons not pertinent to this thread. But I think it will continue to be an issue for people testing the water so-to-speak with Ooma, and like I originally did, forward their landline to Ooma to gain experience with it.

So if nothing else I would like to understand why it no longer works, so I can tell others who I get to try Ooma.

jacksonm30354

Re: Multiring when caller is Ooma customer or forwarded call

Post by jacksonm30354 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:57 pm

I would like this to work with forwarded calls. I have my office number forwarded to my 2nd ooma number. I would like multiring to work in this situation so that it can also ring my cell phone.

doug

Re: Multiring when caller is Ooma customer or forwarded call

Post by doug » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:44 pm

bw1 wrote:But here's some info from Bobby B (who works for Ooma):
Thanks for the list. I had only seen some of those. I had thought forwarded calls worked when I first setup my hub, but based on the dates of some of those posts I must mismember and it never worked. But it sounds like they too would like to resolve it when they are sure it will not cause call loops.

So I'll be patient -- Ooma has too many other things going for it...