NoMoRobo database: how does one correct "errors" in it?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jasontaylor7
NoMoRobo database: how does one correct "errors" in it?

Post by jasontaylor7 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 am

NoMoRobo is a filtering option allegedly allowing, e.g., "spam" calls to not ring. Let's pretend an enemy of mine (but could happen to anyone really) maliciously entered my own phone number into the NoMoRobo database of spammers such that now more of my calls go directly to voicemail. Let's also assume that I'm not actually a spammer. My question is, is there any way to appeal NoMoRobo's decision, or to have them correct their database? I contacted NoMoRobo and got an insta-email saying they would respond shortly, but they didn't, and several days have passed.

Thanks in advance to any useful suggestions.

Sincerely,
Jason Arthur Taylor

TonyW

Re: NoMoRobo database: how does one correct "errors" in it?

Post by TonyW » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:34 am

- Go to https://www.nomorobo.com and create an account.

hint: select a service other than Ooma to create acc't. Once you are 'in', correct info.

- Once logged into your acc't, on the 'Report a number' page, select 'A valid number that was blocked incorrectly' & submit a number.

note: Ooma doesn't use the NMR database 'live'. It is imported "early Monday morning" & gets applied like other Ooma lists (i.e. Personal, Community, etc.)

jasontaylor7

Post by jasontaylor7 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:09 am

Thanks Tony. Very helpful, needless to say.

Why do you suggest avoiding using an ooma account in creating a NoMoRobo account?

Anyway, I followed your instruction. It seems there's no appeal process, nor is there even an easy way to know if a number is off (or even on) the spam list or not. It's sort of like sending light into a black hole... Reminds me of the Obama "Hope" poster. And the response for complaining about a false blacklist is like "Thanks for reporting this number..." even though it makes no sense really.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:47 am

"Why did you suggest not using it?"

It used to be that, because Ooma users didn't use NMR in the 'traditional sense', it wouldn't allow an acc't creation specifying Ooma. This sounds like it's old news, but not mentioning it up front led to failed attempts in the past.

As to lack of feedback re: 'if a number is off (or even on) the spam list', I have the same complaint. They have this page:

https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup

but no search API, so one needs to scrape each page, one at a time, to find a number. The alternative is to just 'google' the number & see if there are any NMR-specific hits. I submitted a request for a search function once, but the response was to just "report it" & "take it on faith...". Not much in the way of positive feedback.

It now occurs to me that some sort of search/spider browser plug-in might aid in searching those pages. A bit 'brute force', but I think I need to research that some day...

Paul.

Post by Paul. » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:51 pm

You can include the phone number you want to look up directly in the URL. See example:

https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup/206-401-5491

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:57 pm

Good to know. Thanks. Now I just have to remember it when the current lull in junk calls ends.