No Fee Core/Hub questions (Spam and T&C)

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
mokofoko
No Fee Core/Hub questions (Spam and T&C)

Post by mokofoko » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:09 am

My folks have had an original CORE (hub+scout) setup since 2009 without premier service. They're happy with it, but have been getting bombarded by spam calls as of late. They currently pay no fees, and I'm wondering what I can do to mitigate their issues without accidentally switching their account to Basic service (from Core, no fees period).

I logged into the myOoma account, and I'm not able to proceed without agreeing to the "Ooma 911 Terms and Conditions" popup. Apparently I'm only agreeing to section 9 in the T&C, which doesn't mention fees, but section 11 below it gives Ooma the right to charge taxes/fees? Should I refuse to accept the agreement and just forever remain locked out of the myOoma account?
To continue using your Ooma service, please read and agree to the statement below:
I am aware of and understand the limitations of dialing 911 to reach emergency services using the Ooma service, as described here: www.ooma.com/911 and as set forth in section 9 of these Standard Terms and Conditions.
Their provided links:
https://www.ooma.com/legal/dialing-911/
https://www.ooma.com/legal/terms/

And related to avoiding spam calls (they get upwards of 15 a day)... since they don't have lifetime premier and blacklist/nomorobo are out of the question, would the only option be to port in a good number in place of the bad one? I'm sure there'd be a cost, but would that compromise their CORE account status? Is there anything else I can do to filter out some of those calls (external devices like the T-Lock call blocker, etc)? I'd like to make things as simple as possible for them.

I'd appreciate any advice I can get. I've spent a few hours reading, and haven't found any recent information that specifically applies to the original Core owners.

TIA

murphy

Re: No Fee Core/Hub questions (Spam and T&C)

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:37 am

A new number won't help. Robocallers go through an exchange from 0000 to 9999 looking for valid numbers.

They should have received an offer several years ago to buy a new Telo and retain their core status.
I upgraded my Hub with lifetime Premier to a Telo 2 and it lists Core status with Lifetime Premier.

Is their number on the Federal do not call list? Does your state have a Do Not Call list?

Development stopped on the Hub many years ago. It also appears to have stopped on the Telo 1.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mokofoko

Post by mokofoko » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi--yes, they received an email on 9/20/2016 offering the upgrade--the hub was working fine, so they didn't take advantage of it. I assume that promotion is no longer even offered. Even if it was though, they didn't get lifetime premier before, so it wouldn't be an option now?

I have a few numbers in the same area code that don't get spam calls, ever. I have my own Ooma Core with a similar number (same block of numbers) that has never gotten a spam call. The problem I think, is that they used to use their ooma number when signing up for anything online. Now its likely on a bunch of spam lists. So I'm thinking a new (known good) number would be a proper solution, assuming that porting in a number will not cause a service change. If I pay to port in one of my numbers, will it switch them to BASIC service? I'd rather hear from someone with first-hand experience, rather than calling and going off what an ooma rep says.

Their ooma number was added to the do-not-call registry many years ago.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:01 pm

No direct experience but an idea.

Port in the new number as the second line.
Once it is working, have then swap the numbers so the new number becomes the primary.
Let it run that way until you are satisfied it is okay.
The login will be with the new number.
Cancel Premier, that will make the second number go away.

This way they are doings things that they should know how to do and not guessing at answers to questions.

mokofoko

Post by mokofoko » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but from what I've read elsewhere, signing up on the monthly premier plan for any period of time will void the grandfathered no-fee core status, which you can't get back.

Since I'm unsure if the following actions--

1. Paying to port in number
2. Accepting T&C for 911 service (I was really hoping someone would comment here, since everyone got this)

--will affect CORE status, I'm going to just have to leave everything as is and give up on this. I'll instead be purchasing a call blocker device, and have incoming calls blacklisted. Oh well, appreciate the help though.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55 pm

I purchased a HUB in early 2009. It had core status. I imported my number.
I purchased lifetime premier for it. (It's no longer available.)
Years later I received an offer to upgrade to a Telo 2 and maintain my core status. I purchased the Telo 2.
The following is copied from my my.ooma.com account for the Telo 2.

Service Level
Current service level Premier, Lifetime Subscription
Base service tier Ooma Core (U.S.)
Taxes and fees No payments due at this time, subject to Terms and Conditions.

You should have received the upgrade offer.