Replacement power adapter

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
SD_Ooma
Replacement power adapter

Post by SD_Ooma » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 pm

I lost my power adapter for my Ooma Telo. Saw mixed reviews online as to what could be a correct specification. Even the Ooma chat mentioned there are 2 types - 2V and 3V and that i shud call support to get accurate info. Support said they have only 2V in stock. On the back of my Ooma device i see 5 VDC and 3V mentioned. I bought it on amazon in Dec 2018. Some on Amazon even wrote they got incorrect adapters from Ooma when they bought their device. So I wanted to check anyones experience here. I am a novice when it comes to difference between 2V and 3V :|

Please suggest what would work for me.
Attachments
IMG_3990_2.jpg
IMG_3990_2.jpg (10.28KiB)Viewed 4009 times

murphy

Re: Replacement power adapter

Post by murphy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Your picture shows 5 volts and 3 amps. That will work as long as it has the same DC power connector as the original and the center connection is the + terminal.

All Telos are 5 volts.

The Telo adapter is 5 volts and 2 amps.
The voltage must be exactly the same. The current (amps) rating must be equal to or greater than the original part.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

SD_Ooma

Post by SD_Ooma » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:15 pm

Thanks for the input Murphy. So i understand i can trust the 2A adapter Ooma is offering to work. Correct me if I am wrong.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:06 pm

The Ooma replacement adapter will work.

SD_Ooma

Post by SD_Ooma » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:19 am

Thank You. Ordered.

SD_Ooma

Post by SD_Ooma » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:29 pm

Luckily i could locate the adapter but I have a different issue now! The ooma device doesn't start up!
I have used Ooma last in Sept last but I have been paying the monthly fee and keeping the connection. I moved states and now I am trying to set it up.I plugged in the adapter but the device doesn't start, no lights, nothing. I do feel slight heat in the ooma device though when i put my palm across it.So the adpater seems to be working? (I don't have a voltmeter to confirm that)

Any suggestions are welcome. would there be a reactivation or something because of the hiatus i took with the device?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:39 am

Can you still log in to your account? There have been statements in the past that if the Telo goes 6 months without being connected the account will be closed. I hope that isn't the case if you continue to pay the monthly fee.

If the adapter isn't producing 5 volts the Telo would still get warm but the logic can't work if the voltage is below 4.75 volts.

It's possible to turn the lights off so that isn't necessarily a problem. The lights on the LAN connectors should be on if there is an active cable connected to them.

SD_Ooma

Post by SD_Ooma » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:19 am

yeah, i can still log in to the account. I see the device in offline status in my account. Nothing to indicate i need to reactivate or do anything like that. I will give a call to Ooma and see what they have to say. I bought my device on Amazon in Dec, 2018. Don't know how that would impact what Ooma support team can or cannot do.