Caller ID only works sometimes

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jimayers
Caller ID only works sometimes

Post by jimayers » Tue May 06, 2008 7:05 pm

My ooma will only hvae caller ID part time. Can anybody help?

Thanks - Jim A

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Caller ID only works sometimes

Post by Bobby B » Wed May 07, 2008 10:45 am

Hi Jim,

Caller-ID should work OK on calls to your landline phone number if you have it enabled with your landline phone company.

I took a look at your logs and it looks like Caller-ID was working OK for your incoming calls - do you know what percentage of the time are you not receiving Caller-ID on incoming calls? Also, are you receiving, only the phone number or both the phone number and the Caller Name?

To check if Caller-ID being correctly delivered through your landline, I'd check if you receive Caller-ID successfully when you have a phone connected directly to the wall. Once you have a successful Caller-ID test, unplug the phone from the wall and plug the phone into the ooma Hub ("PHONE" port) and check if Caller-ID is being receiving okay on the phone.

-Bobby
jimayers wrote:My ooma will only have caller ID part time. Can anybody help?

Thanks - Jim A
Bobby B

jimayers

Post by jimayers » Wed May 07, 2008 3:00 pm

Caller ID works 100% when NOT plugged into ooma. I would guess it works less than 30% with ooma. When it works (or doesn't work) with ooma, I am trying to recognize if there are any other variables that might make it work or not work. But I can not see any patterns for successful caller ID with ooma.

Also - I am recieving both name and phone number when it works.

Thank for your continued help and support - Jim Ayers
Bobby B wrote:Hi Jim,

Caller-ID should work OK on calls to your landline phone number if you have it enabled with your landline phone company.

I took a look at your logs and it looks like Caller-ID was working OK for your incoming calls - do you know what percentage of the time are you not receiving Caller-ID on incoming calls? Also, are you receiving, only the phone number or both the phone number and the Caller Name?

To check if Caller-ID being correctly delivered through your landline, I'd check if you receive Caller-ID successfully when you have a phone connected directly to the wall. Once you have a successful Caller-ID test, unplug the phone from the wall and plug the phone into the ooma Hub ("PHONE" port) and check if Caller-ID is being receiving okay on the phone.

-Bobby
jimayers wrote:My ooma will only have caller ID part time. Can anybody help?

Thanks - Jim A

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed May 07, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi Jim, I'm pretty sure this Caller-ID is related to the problem you described in the below post:

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23

Basically if a single call is being detected as multiple calls, Caller-ID will frequently never work, since Caller-ID information is typically transmitted after the first received ring. I'll reply to the above post with some additional details.
Bobby B

jimayers

Post by jimayers » Wed May 07, 2008 8:08 pm

OK - sounds reasonable...and i like the idea of all my issues being fixed with one solution!
Bobby B wrote:Hi Jim, I'm pretty sure this Caller-ID is related to the problem you described in the below post:

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23

Basically if a single call is being detected as multiple calls, Caller-ID will frequently never work, since Caller-ID information is typically transmitted after the first received ring. I'll reply to the above post with some additional details.

jimayers

Post by jimayers » Fri May 23, 2008 8:27 am

I am now pretty comfortable that your service team has fixed my voice mail problem (with some minor hic ups). BUT my caller ID still only works part of the time. I believe it is not a part of my other voice mail (low voltage) problems. Can we look into this again as a seperate issue?

Thanks for your continued help - Jim Ayers