Ooma Hub Friend Found

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
TonyB
Ooma Hub Friend Found

Post by TonyB » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Has been a long, long time since I posted on this forum...

I was one of the early adopters and thereafter fans of Ooma. We moved seven years ago and for various reasons, one being no viable internet initially, our beloved Hub sat in a box, until recently.

With retirement upon me, needing to return my employer's IP telephone, I want very much to revive the Hub. Our there step-by-step instructions somewhere on how to do so?

Thanks much.

TonyB

Re: Ooma Hub Friend Found

Post by TonyB » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Ok, I found the Hub's set-up guide, but thus far I'm stuck with a blinking red light on the clear tab. Any thoughts?

Also, what's Ooma's policy on retention of customer phone numbers? I just called my Ooma number and it's seemingly a fax number now...

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:13 am

Ooma's Terms and Conditions state that if the device is left unconnected to their network for 6 months the account is subject to deletion. Can you still log into your account? There was a big push to retire the Hub and switch to a Telo.
My Hub is in a box in the basement I think. I long ago switched the account to a Telo.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:13 am

Appreciate you chiming-in.

I saved my log-in info to what was then called the Ooma Lounge (phone # plus pwd), as I did for this forum, and it no longer works. Coupled with the phone number I had secured that seems to be a fax now, it seems the account has been deleted. :cry:

I don't recall any email notifications from Ooma about a looming deletion, such as one gets from other entities, basically stating to use it or lose it. Drat.

So, at this point, can I re-register it, or is it dead? Thanks again.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:25 am

I don't know if it can be re-registered.

You could call support and ask them if it can be reactivated.

or

You could go to the login page

https://my.ooma.com/login

and click the activate new account and see what happens.

The Hub uses a server that is no longer updated.
You could ask if they have any deals to upgrade to a Telo.

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:09 am

Thanks again murphy.

I got off the phone with Ooma a bit ago, and after having spoken with a couple different people, with the MAC address, they can "reactivate" it. It was indeed canceled. They assert I was informed in an email that would happen, and while I saved emails from Ooma, having gone through them, I didn't see such a communication. Unfortunate...

They can reactivate it, but I'd now need to pay the various monthly fees ($5+) which were not the case before. My family and friends who still have the Hub are on the grandfathered plan still. With retirement after the New Year, adding expenses, albeit minimal, not desirable.

We have an Obi in the living room with our family's four Google Voice numbers on it. I'll just get one more for my home office where I was going to put the Ooma. Was hoping for the nostalgia of the Ooma though...

For any emergency needs, we'll lean on the mobile or the ham radio (quite a few repeaters within range).

Thanks again.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:35 am

You are welcome.
73 de WA3TSW

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:07 pm