Telo logo stays RED, but otherwise seems to work

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
oomagawd!
Telo logo stays RED, but otherwise seems to work

Post by oomagawd! » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:35 am

Two weeks ago I started getting the "Activating registration mode" announcement, or whatever the imitation lady in the Telo says. During a chat, the support person checked out my Telo and said it was working properly. He said it must be trying to register to some other ooma device I have. When I explained that I have no other devices, he accessed the unit again, and "turned off the registration feature", which relieved me of hearing her repeated announcements. Ever since then, the ooma logo/flower turns steady red for a minute, an hour, then switches to blue, and back again. I have restated the unit several times. I do notice I can make and receive calls.

I did anther chat with ooma today, who informed me my Telo is "defective" and must be replaced. He said mine is eight years old. When I asked what that mattered, he asserted that "the lifespan of the Telo is 5 to 6 years, at most." I pushed back, explaining that I've never heard of a "lifespan" for such a device, but he only reasserted the lifespan. Said I could buy one, "today only" for a discounted price. I bailed. I now see that Amazon sells both new AND refurbished units for less than ooma, but will arrive faster.

If the Telo logo is red, but still works, maybe there's no need to do a thing. Just wondering if anyone has a moment to weigh in on any of this.

murphy

Re: Telo logo stays RED, but otherwise seems to work

Post by murphy » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:37 pm

My Telo 1 has been working fine since 2009.
Sounds like the person was making things up to increase their sales volume.

I can't say the same for my Telo 2. The speaker quit working. I opened it up and put in a bigger speaker. The old speaker measured infinite ohms. An obvious piece of junk if it burned out on a low voltage audio signal.

I don't see solid red in the manual. Blinking red means loss of the internet connection. What is the DHCP lease time in your router set to? Set it to the maximum allowable value. I'm guessing it is set to 1 hour.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

oomagawd!

Re: Telo logo stays RED, but otherwise seems to work

Post by oomagawd! » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, this solid red, then solid blue, then solid blue situation didn't start until the Ooma guy "turned off" the "registration feature" on my Telo. I'm wondering if I should do a factory reset. Not sure exactly what that does, or if it wipes settings out. Do you know? Also, I see various methods for resetting the unit. Do you know the correct method?

I'll check on the DHCP lease.

Thanks again!