HD2 handset not charging due to charger

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jrmrhrb00
HD2 handset not charging due to charger

Post by jrmrhrb00 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:46 pm

I have had this problem for about 6 months and finally figured it out. I would be talking on the HD2 handset and the phone would die. I would then exchange that handset with another and then later on it would do the same thing. So, I was pretty sure it had to do with the charger. So, I would clean the little contacts that you see when you look inside of the charger and then maybe it would work for a while and then maybe not. So, that meant it had to be inside the charger.

First I had to figure out how to get inside of the charger to see what could be going on. I found that I could remove the rubber bumper on the bottom of the charger by going slow and with a knife going under the bumper and slowly taking it off. It was only held on with glue. Don't cut it in two. Once there I found two small screws on the bottom front of the charger. Remove those. then using your thin knife at the front find where the 2 clam shells actually come together. There you can wedge your knife and then move it to the left and the right. You will find that the knife will only go so far and then stop. At each of these places turn the knife so that it will actually force open the clam shells.

That's it! Now you are inside and can see what is going on. You can see that for each electrical connection that it lays down on a circuit board pad. You will also notice that these connections have a little spring on them that gives tension for the wires that hit the pads and also for the connections to the phone.

The way I fixed mine is by using solder. On the pads I put a thin layer of solder and I also tinned the wires that make contact with the pads. Since then I have had no issues of phone calls being dropped because the phone wasn't charged.

You might think that it would have been easier to just buy a new charger, but the problem is you can't buy these chargers any more. Also, I believe that as these chargers get older that more and more people will have trouble getting their phone to charge. This is the only way that I know that will permanently fix the problem.

jrmrhrb00

Re: HD2 handset not charging due to charger

Post by jrmrhrb00 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:32 am

In the end I did have to hardwire the pins to the circuit board pads. Just use about 3 inches of wire from each pin to the pad and solder them in. My original fix worked for a couple of weeks then quit working. Another point that I didn't mention is you can check the voltage on the pads of the circuit board to determine where the problem is. This should read about 5 volts. If you don't get the voltage then the circuit board, or the cable with the charger is bad. If you do get the voltage then it's a problem of making good contact between the pins and the pads. Wiring and soldering these will make a solid connection.