T-Mobile Home Internet

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
PS1452
T-Mobile Home Internet

Post by PS1452 » Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 am

I've recently switched internet providers to T-Mobile Home Internet which is 5G. My Ooma Telo is connected to the gateway via ethernet cable. I can't call out, I get the tone and am able to dial but it never goes through. Trying to call in it doesn't ring, I can leave a message but then can't listen to it on the base.

Is anyone else using this yet, or does anyone have any suggestions?

brebro

Re: T-Mobile Home Internet

Post by brebro » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:32 pm

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I just left my long-time cable internet company for the T-Mobile Home Internet and have the Ooma hooked to a switcher coming from the Gateway's Ethernet port. I thought it was working fine, because all the lights were blue, and I am able to call out, but I found out that NO incoming calls are ringing! The logs don't even show any missed calls, they just don't exist, but I get the voicemail messages from them.

Why does the incoming call ringing stop now, and how can I fix it? With the old cable modem, I put the Ooma directly on the internet output of the modem, and used the Ooma output to go to the router for the other devices, but this unit is a one-piece modem/router, and I just have the Ooma at the end of the line with other Ethernet devices hooked to an Ethernet switcher. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:13 pm

Cable modems can only have one device connected to them unless you pay for more. Specifically they remember the first device to connect after power is turned on for the modem. The solution for this is to connect a router to the cable modem.

I suspect the T-Mobile device may be the same. Connect a router to the T-Mobile device and then connect the Ooma and all other devices to the router. Switches can be used to expand the number of ports on a router.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

brebro

Post by brebro » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:08 am

I fixed it somehow. All I did was unplug the ethernet and plug it back in, and now it rings on incoming calls, and the red PLAY message button that wouldn't go away (even though I had no messages) also stopped glowing red, and returned to steady blue again. Maybe it just needed a new IP address?