original scout problem

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
kcgr44
original scout problem

Post by kcgr44 » Fri May 28, 2021 5:01 pm

I've searched and not seen this issue. Our ooma scout stopped receiving calls. It has worked for years. I

If I call it from say a cell, I hear a click on the scout, then nothing. The light for line 1 would blink, then voicemail would come up. It was like it couldn't handle the power of dealing with a call. The telephone would shoe "check tel line"

tried:
=Unplugging tel line from the wall (get red tab) and replugging (back to blue tab). That resets things back to working, but another call, another click, and it goes silent again
= calls from the scout seem to mostly work, but receiving is the main issue. Once someone calls, it clicks then stops working (for incoming and outgoing calls) and everything incoming eventually goes to voicemail.
= hard reset - no help
=hooked it directly to the hub and tried other wires. No luck- same issue.

starting to think it is either a power supply issue. I popped open the back, but I didn't see any swollen capacitors etc.

any ideas? This is frustrating.

Hub is working fine.

murphy

Re: original scout problem

Post by murphy » Sat May 29, 2021 1:55 am

Measure the voltage coming from the Scouts power supply.
The swollen capacitors would be in the power supply, not in the scout.

It's been a long time but my memory says the Hub has a 12 volt power supply and the Scout has a 5 volt power supply.
The values are on the power supply including the polarity of the connector. You may need a magnifying glass to read it.

An incoming call puts more load on the power supply since it has to produce the ring energy.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kcgr44

Post by kcgr44 » Sat May 29, 2021 2:26 pm

brick said 5v and 2A max

6.7 to 6.8V was the steady number I got the most over several tests.
Amps were all over the place.

I couldn't get it open to check the caps.

kcgr44

Post by kcgr44 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:29 pm

well, I ended up gambling on a power supply and bought a used ooma model off ebay. That seems to have done the trick.