Ooma Hubs unable to connect Dec 2021

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
xBroker
Re: Ooma Hubs unable to connect Dec 2021

Post by xBroker » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:02 am

Still haven't figured out what happened to the user account I had for forums back when I purchased mine. I'm as much an old timer on here as anyone who bought one of the original ooma hubs. Just rarely had the need to come on the forums. Thought for sure some of us had reached the end of ooma lane this time.. lolz Thank you again for the help here.

Tried to put my account back to premiere, but have to wait a few weeks till some obscure date in jan. No issue beyond that. My account says "Warranty Expired on 03/12/2010"... Wonder what percentage of us old timers are still around. Purchase date of mar 2007, 2008 or 2009 sounds about right... I think I'd rather pay the 130 a year rather than zero. More options and actually paying helps keep the system online, I would imagine.

FerrariGuy

Post by FerrariGuy » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:37 pm

Glad you got it working. I'm the same. My first Ooma hub was bought in 2007 or 2008. Ooma was founded in 2003 I think. Not sure when they got their first product out, but I think it was 2007. I probably registered on the forums here a year or so later.

Acronyms:
IP (internet protocol - short hand for internet protocol address - version 4 (ipv4) which takes its form as XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where X can be up to 3x's in lenght in each spot. This is akin to the address assigned to your house. It's not fixed - but is usually very steady. It CAN be fixed - or assigned - as it is to your house. IPV6 is the new standard, which is longer and bigger, and isnt' needed in the discussion here.

MAC address (media access control)
Your house's physical address is like a MAC address. A physically encoded thing that identifies it like a geoposition. It's the thing to which an IP address gets assigned. Manufacturers are usually given a mac *range* - so from a MAC address you can look up the manufacturer of a specific product.

DNS (Domain Name Server)
That's the service - on a machine - with an IP address - that translates the call to "where is *xBroker*" into the house address analogy above. There's a chicken and egg thing going on here, because although DNS servers can have a "name" assigned to them to which queries can go, somehow, the thing doing the query has to know the IP of that DNS server, thus must have gotten that somehow - from another DNS server, or directly as a hard coded thing - or as presented to it by a gateway/router - which had the same problem. At some point it's hard coded. In the case of the Ooma, it looks like it's temporarly hard coded per version of the firmware (this is the current evidence). That's why when the DNSs (and NTP servers) were unreachable, it didnt' function.

(Almost all things on the internet are called by name (so that the IP address can be discovered via a DNS server - and then begin communication)

NTP server (network time protocol)
A server that helps a device syncronize time.

NAT (network address translation)
A way of mapping one IP address to another so that communcation flows between them without the origin or destination knowing the *actual* endpoint IP address.

xBroker

Post by xBroker » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:14 pm

Walked past the oooma a few times. Still not used to having working phone service again. First I blamed the new internet company I switched to early in 2021. I remember when I first found an ooma unit in a best buy. I figured it would be a bumpy ride the entire time, not knowing much about these types of things..

Now all these years later, I blame everyone but ooma when it goes down. .. well at first anyway.. This kind of outage happens so rarely, I was certainly caught off guard. I hope everyone else got up and running. All things considered, it's been one heck of a reliable bargain and no wireless anything..

FerrariGuy

Post by FerrariGuy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:09 pm

Small update. Someone on the Reddit Ooma forum tried another reset of theirs, and it worked (around 1/1/22).

As of today 208.83.244.20 at least is now reachable via a tracert:

14 412 ms 160 ms 137 ms ae16.mpr3.sjc7.us.zip.zayo.com [64.125.31.13]
15 68 ms 66 ms 63 ms 207.126.102.246.IPYX-106225-002-ZYO.zip.zayo.com [207.126.102.246]
16 219 ms 234 ms 153 ms ns-eqix-sv4.ooma.com [208.83.244.20]

244.21 still times out at/after 64.125.31.13. Cleary something was fixed for one of the IPs. I doubt we'll ever know what went wrong.