Incoming call trigger Alexa announce caller ID

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
pmailman
Incoming call trigger Alexa announce caller ID

Post by pmailman » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:29 am

I would like to have an incoming call on my Ooma phone line trigger my Alexa device to announce the caller ID. IFTTT supports an Ooma incoming call trigger, including "ingredients" with the caller name and number. I can find no direct support for Alexa actions on IFTTT, but there is an "Alexa VoiceMonkey" service that supposedly can convert text (including info from the ingredients) to speech and pass the voice to an Alexa routine.

I have successfully tested the VoiceMonkey to Alexa announcement link, but nothing is happening when an incoming call comes in. IFTTT indicates that my applet has never been triggered.

Any hints, tricks, references to troubleshoot why the trigger is never hit on IFTTT? I'm pretty sure I've done what is documented in the general help on linking Ooma to IFTTT.

ClintPotts

Re: Incoming call trigger Alexa announce caller ID

Post by ClintPotts » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:32 am

I'm new here, but I'd like to add, "Me Too." I like this request and would like to see this functionality.

Robek

Re: Incoming call trigger Alexa announce caller ID

Post by Robek » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:30 pm

IFTTT changed its business model several years ago, so some applets may no longer work as expected, without a paid subscription. Ooma also removed any mention of IFTTT from its support web site. So, while it may be possible to create a custom applet, it is also probable that Ooma would no longer support it.