Difficulty porting number away from Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
pw1981
Difficulty porting number away from Ooma

Post by pw1981 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:46 pm

I have been trying to port my number away from Ooma for several days and the process keeps failing with an error saying that the customer information does not match. I am at a loss.

The only info I am asked for is my name, zip code, phone number, account number, and a PIN. I found numerous posts al over saying that the PIN is 0000 if it won't process without one. The other info is pretty basic stuff that I know is correct, yet it doesn't work.

I am not trying to leave Ooma for any reason other than we don't use it. I have only kept it to maintain the phone number, which is our "home" number on household accounts. I can now maintain the number on a prepaid eSIM in my iPhone for less money overall than my Ooma service.

I just want to port it out, and its not working. Does anyone have any specific guidance on how to do this? I have read all sorts of difficulties in various online forums with this, but none of those posts were recent, so I was hoping the process was resolved. But, alas, it is not.

LRod

Re: Difficulty porting number away from Ooma

Post by LRod » Sat May 14, 2022 10:07 pm

I found this thread on Public Mobile. The only difference is that this person did not enter any numbers for the PIN. Hope it helps.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... d-p/602437

pw1981

Post by pw1981 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:43 am

I finally got this port to process by trying a different prepaid carrier. It seems the issue may have been with Mint Mobile, because switching to AT&T Prepaid got it ported out with no issues.

In case anyone else comes across this post looking for porting info, I should point out that unlike every other phone company I have ever dealt with, porting out does not close your Ooma account. Several days after the port, I got an email telling me that my new Ooma number was xxx. When I called to cancel the service, it was almost an hour on hold and talking to multiple people to accomplish the cancellation. The only reason I got a pro-rated refund for the 10 months of service I had remaining, is because I asked for it; the rep was ready to hang up when I inquired and she was very confused asking what I wanted a refund for then seemingly begrudgingly, she initiated the refund process.

I didn't have any specific issues with Ooma that drove me away, just the fact that is doesn't present a value to me anymore. For only a couple dollars more a month than what I was paying for premium Ooma (which I needed for the number blocking) and fees/taxes, I have a pre-paid account thru AT&T as a second line on my iPhone. This comes with a data plan too so I have a backup where my primary provider may not have good coverage. Ooma is fine for what it is and I never had any serious issues using it, but it didn't meet my needs any longer.

Stinedurf

Post by Stinedurf » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:16 pm

That’s discouraging. I have been trying for weeks to port away from Ooma to another vendor. I don’t want to go to ATT because their signal strength is awful where I live.