4G LTE adapter Sprint-to-TMobile and Ooma setup app Android

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
oomamb
4G LTE adapter Sprint-to-TMobile and Ooma setup app Android

Post by oomamb » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:58 pm

I was notified by Ooma newsletter Email on 5/19/22 that Sprint is shutting down its network as of 6/30/22 and I'd be receiving a 4G LTE replacement adapter. That adapter arrived today. While the old adapter was Ooma branded, white, had a long USB cord, had some style to it, and supported suction cup mount, the new adapter is black, NetStick branded GLU194ST, short USB cord, and is 'functionally' styled with a detachable base that can pivot the stick forwards or backwards, but no suction cup mount capability. Ooma provide an RMA UPS label to return the old adapter.

The replacement is easy. Unplug old adapter, plug in new adapter, power cycle the Telo. That's it. After giving this a try the new adapter showed a solid green light (strong signal) and the Telo worked fine with the Ethernet disconnected. Thank you Ooma for providing this, keeping functionality I'm paying for, and making it easy to swap.

However, I was disappointed to find that the Android Ooma setup app, which could be used to check Telo status, LTE adapter status, signal strength, etc., no longer appears to work. It is stuck on the old adapter's IMEI and there doesn't appear to be a way to change it (if that's actually the only fix needed). With the Telo disconnected from Ethernet and using the adapter and confirming calls were working, I tried logging out and back into the app. It said it was refreshing equipment data, but it still came back with the old adapter's IMEI, and of course shows "Adapter Disconnected" and Base Station Status "Unknown". That's unfortunate as you're just left with dummy lights on adapter to determine best signal strength location, and now have to log into the web portal to determine Telo status rather than a few clicks in an app.

Hopefully they upgrade this and return app functionality, but bottom line the hardware works fine and I trust that will continue after 6/30/22.

mimichic

Re: 4G LTE adapter Sprint-to-TMobile and Ooma setup app Android

Post by mimichic » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:10 pm

I had the same issue with IOS. I chatted with someone as well as spoke with another person in support, and asked if I needed to activate the adapter in the app. one said there’s no need to use the app, and the other said it would automatically change to the new adapter in the app. I don’t have faith in either response, so we’ll see what happens on 7/1.

twofingerrightclick

Re: 4G LTE adapter Sprint-to-TMobile and Ooma setup app Android

Post by twofingerrightclick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:39 pm

I received the Netstick as well for my Telo104... unfortunately its not working, but I wanted to comment about the Modem (Adapter) status feature in the app. That feature was based on either the previous Modem with the Ooma branding having software on it to communicate its status independently, or the Telo box had software to read the status of the Ooma branded modem and report it. If the former scenario then that feature will not be available, because the Netstick will not have such software, but if the latter, there will have to be a software update to the Telo to allow it to read the status of the NetStick.