Problems With New Telo 4G Adapter

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Nolimay
Re: Problems With New Telo 4G Adapter

Post by Nolimay » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:54 pm

Wonder what would happen if everyone starts reporting to the better business bureau?

My 86 yr old mother has not had phone service since 7/7/22.
Their customer dissatisfaction team continues to drop chat boxes.
She was promised an angular adapter and has not received it.
Perhaps they should have just sent entire new systems to everyone instead of trying to rig something to work.
I need to now figure out another service to work for my mother using a home phone.
I specifically brought up the concern to the service person when I bought the device about switching from 4G to 5G.
I was assured there would be no issue.
It is also frustrating that when you attempt to call their phone number the person on the other end has an accent so thick and the background is so loud you can't make out anything they are saying.

DisasterRecovery

Post by DisasterRecovery » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:33 pm

BBB would be no good -- that's a "gentlemen's" club of sorts for years. Even if they do report factual unsatisfied customers -- in one respect -- most would be complaining about their Telo's that are "internet" connected by their own connections.

There is no way to control how these connections are made and the many different kinds of Internet -- let alone -- how many different home routers are in existence. So in this case -- most could be blown off as a bad Internet provider.

In this case they provide the Internet connection -- but it would still get drowned out for obvious reasons. Everyone's milage would vary.

This is bait and switch. Not a good look.

Look up FAA and ATT & Verizon 5G and find out what happened when FAA dropped the ball. LOL Of course that's your Government in action or at work. Someone got paid -- did not address the issue ahead of the issue -- and AT&T and Verizon was affected with the plans of running their businesses.

But again it was your Government -- so they were arm twisted into delaying turning up 5G signals around airports -- for fears that OMG -- planes would fall out of the sky. (actually no laughing matter here when it comes to unintentional interference or radiators.) If the FAA would have been upgrading and modifying their systems like they were notified and ignored -- this would not have happened.

Similar to what we see here. Tmobile made most folks get new phones in 2021 before years end. Seems that someone has waited until it was a problem -- to start worrying about the problem -- now that Tmobile has flipped a few switches.

I will do as 8473011623 suggests -- and swap the sim from the Netstick -- to the old white Ooma antenna.

I figured that would work or not in a previous post. Fingers crossed it will fire up as usual and work. I will call it fixed and dare them to charge for any un-returned hardware.

My Mom or myself never asked to be sent anything -- just notices were sent to her that something was being shipped. That is until it is considered "fixed" -- I do not want to keep stuff that is not mine -- But I have to get this back to working with very few hiccups -- like it was before someone dropped the ball.

Nothing from anyone from Ooma has come from the FCC complaint filed -- which is OK -- the FCC can recommend further action -- which could get punitive -- if needed. It is a single action -- but I will make sure they are aware it is affecting an unknown but known percentage of their customers.

Post by 2524386115 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:59 pm

I quit! No more 4G for me.

When the 4G adaptor was first available, I bought one for my home and it worked fine. I verified this by making and receiving OOMA calls with the cat5 cable disconnected. That original 4G adaptor apparently quit at some point; my landline internet is very reliable so I don't know when it quit. When OOMA sent me the new black NetStick I noticed the white adaptor no longer indicated a connection. I installed the black Netstick adaptor in the same location and it never worked; It seemed to boot but then appeared to restart endlessly. I got the same result whether the NetStick was plugged into a Telo, a PC, or a USB power supply. The 90 degree elbows made no difference and by the time the NetStick booted when connected to a computer the Netstick's status page showed no connection. I tried the NetStick SIM card in my phone and got no connection and tried my phone's SIM card in the Netstick, also no Cel connection. This is no longer worth my time or the extra monthly 4G charge for something that doesn't work.

Before I realized my original white adaptor had quit I ordered an OOMA setup for the church parsonage, it was a package deal including the 4G adaptor. That 4G adaptor never worked either; OOMA tells me I can't just cancel the 4G part of the bundle. So I'll buy another Telo (without 4G) when pastors rotate this summer and set it up for the new pastor, without 4G or that monthly charge. The current pastor told me that OOMA later sent another replacement white adaptor (after the replacement black one) but I wasn't party to any experimentation with that one. As far as I know, it never worked either.

Does this 4G adaptor work for anyone?

DisasterRecovery

Post by DisasterRecovery » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:07 pm

Not sure what the problem is here --

Mom received a voice mail in the middle of the night in Feb 2023 -- that would not play.

When she told me she pressed PLAY -- she said the speaker on the Telo just popped and cracked and the blue light went out -- no red -- no flashing -- nothing.

Calls at this time started dropping -- whether they were inbound or outbound. I went over and unplugged everything and started everything back up after a few minutes -- everything seemed like it took forever -- 15-20 minutes -- before it seemed like it was back to showing a blue light again.

I have experienced almost every call to or from my Mom -- drop -- since then.

I was present Sunday March 26 2023 -- my brother called -- and less than 20 seconds into the call -- it dropped and she started complaining that OOMA or T-MOBILE appears to have been hacked.

That is usually my department and gripes as of 2020 to present -- as Corporate hacks have exploded -- thanks to the Pandemic and no one wanting to work. I was not quick to connect the dots as my parents -- this time.

Her cell phone is on T-MOBILE now thanks to Sprint being bought by T-MOBILE -- it has been acting up and dropping calls left and right -- as she indicated -- since "first of the year".

This is an account that my sister has control over -- and unrelated -- except for T-MOBILE being the provider for the TELO 4G since Sprint was bought by T-MOBILE.

I have placed a T-Mobile Home Internet device in their home for them to have Internet access -- in my name -- in Feb 2023 -- only to have consistent drop outs and loss of service -- and again totally unrelated -- other than T-MOBILE being the provider. This device claims a 4G signal of -70 and their 5G 2.5G signal is connecting at -90 to -98.

Prior to this -- I had an AT&T Data Connect plan -- which AT&T cancelled and wanted me to upgrade to 5G services -- and wanted to cap the service to 50GB a month -- with charges for overage. The speeds were like DSL slow, but never had a problem with AT&T Data Connect ever dropping out -- it was always available for the 3+ years I had the service active.

The signals are good and should not be a problem in all of these cases -- everything reports a "Good" or better signal -- and still -- there a problems with all of these services being available -- and again -- T-MOBILE seems to be a good part of the problem here...

The fact that I bought this device and did DUE DILIGENCE in asking about Sprint being bought by T-Mobile -- having anything to do with this service being screwed up -- and was told the 4G meant it would work with any carrier.

That was a LIE -- as they sent this BLACK NETSTICK to replace a WHITE TELO 4G one -- and it has been problems starting the new Netstick -- and keeping it running more than 30-60 days without problems since.

The TELO started flashing RED both slowly and fast a different times in start-up sequence when I started working with resetting it on Sunday. It never came back online -- and I had no choice but to call Ooma Support.

Waste of time -- they know nothing -- kept telling me their SYSTEM was showing the Telo was online and he kept reading me the signal level. Before calling Support -- the signals on this Netstick were "Good" and had a solid GREEN light -- measuring -100 to -104. And appears to be connecting to a different channel on the tower than the T-Mobile Internet product.

Once I had Support on the phone -- and the rep was arguing my TELO was online -- he indicated the signal was reading -91. I checked the app -- and it was showing me the same thing -- and I complained that was IMPOSSIBLE -- that nothing had changed about the location or position of the TELO or Netstick -- someone would literally have to cut down trees or move a hill out of the way -- to clear a signal up like that. Before calling the Support rep -- I have always seen -100's no matter where I placed this Netstick.

Now I can not see the signals in the APP -- I know the rep did something to block me -- going to have to get them back on the phone and make them fix my APP now so I can keep track of the signals -- as I have been doing since June 2022.

The system was left NON-WORKING -- the Support rep had no remorse -- just said he would have to create a ticket to give the higher-ups to resolve.

No call-back -- nothing from Ooma -- I read about how to FACTORY RESET the Telo -- and did this Monday night about 8 PM -- 24+ hours of the TELO being knocked offline for whatever unknown reason -- and the Netstick just kept resetting and flashing RED BLUE GREEN like it was in a constant boot loop.

After I initiated the reset code *#*#099 on the telephone connected to the TELO about 4 or 5 times -- I finally got it to FACTORY RESET -- and within 15-20 minutes -- the TELO Is back online and the blue light is back on -- as it should be. Waiting for a dial tone is an exercise in patience -- as you have to wait for the Telo to boot and set there going through it's sequence -- before a dial tone is even available.

Test calls in and out work -- but now -- my questions is -- what's wrong -- who got hacked -- and when will this problem clear up? Will I have to just start factory resetting this Telo every 30-60 days now instead of just unplugging it a few minutes and plugging it back in.

I do not work for Ooma and am constantly having to provide support for this screw-up -- this is going to be a nice small claims case -- for unpaid labor.

When on the phone with their useless support rep -- I informed the rep that I had an FCC complaint filed from 2022 when this first started being a problem for everyone -- that no one is yet to call me about the problems Ooma and T-Mobile have created -- and has not been forgotten.

The nerve of these Corporations that they will not be held accountable is flabbergasting -- as this is current people's personal politics -- and no proper way to be conducting business. People like this have the nerve to call themselves professional... HAH!

DisasterRecovery

Post by DisasterRecovery » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:12 pm

S0 the service still is not working rock solid like it used to.

I have seen a reason -- for the behavior -- when scanning the APP on my phone.

Seems the TELO goes into a slow and/or fast RED flashing logo. Reading all the other issues of the TELO and connectivity -- it seemed to be indicating a problem with the IP service -- T-MOBILE... ugh

Then a stroke of luck? I seen the channel (Band) change in the app. You can not use the service reliable for more than a minute -- and for some reason I guess this channel change is taking place -- mucking everything up -- different IP addresses and routes and such... ugh...
Screenshot_20230401-005927.png
Band B4
Screenshot_20230401-005927.png (107.19KiB)Viewed 195519 times
Screenshot_20230401-010100.png
Band B12
Screenshot_20230401-010100.png (111.65KiB)Viewed 195519 times
Screenshot_20230401-010201.png
Band B4
Screenshot_20230401-010201.png (113.11KiB)Viewed 195519 times
Of course, my question is why/what is causing this behavior?

The connection as far as I know was always reading: ~ -100's -- so I assume they were always connecting to Band B4 on the new Netstick thingy -- on a T-MOBILE carrier.

So I understand when it see's this Band B12 @ -91 -- that is a better signal -- so switch -- yeah... I get that -- it does not seem to want to stay on a channel now -- for some reason?

Also, I would question if it's a tower issue. Also -- Band B4 has 15-Mhz allocated to it -- but Band B12 only has 5-Mhz. Not sure why it can see this B12 signal and apparently loose it @ -91 when it is received -- but I would rather stay on the 15-mhz Band B4 signal -- for a better shake @ a few Megabits being available on the tower -- when Mom or Dad wants to use the "home" phone.

The Netstick problems introduced to this LTE TELO did subside last year and nothing more than a dropped call or two from middle/end of Summer 2022 to Feb/Mar 2023. So it was stable until it is wanting to change channels too much on the Netstick-- will have to see if Ooma can get it fixed to lock on to one tower or the other -- it was rock solid service -- even at -103 -104 -107, signals -- etc.

Will be glad to get this resolved -- may have been the problem all along -- I just realized it running back to back tests when the TELO was messing up -- in real time.

Capper316

Post by Capper316 » Mon May 01, 2023 7:06 pm

I just recently had to replace my Ooma Telo base station because it appeared to have become defective just past the 1 year warranty. After I ordered a new Telo base station and called Ooma customer service to activate the new Ooma base station it did a firmware update to version 93638035 which disabled the replacement 4G Netstick adapter to give status updates to Omma setup app and the only thing the app shows now is the Current connection, Base Station Status and Base Station firmware version. There is no details about the 4G Netstick at all. It has been about a week now and my Telo base Station and 4g Netstick adapter has been stable with no random phone call disconnects or telo base station going offline reboots so far as of 5/1/23.

Capper316

Post by Capper316 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:22 pm

I finally gave up hoping the replacement netstick would work right under T-mobile but it had not so I switched to a different home phone provider that initials are S.T. that use a different cellular provider and I have not had any issues with the home phone base rebooting or going offline randomly so far.

mml373

Post by mml373 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:13 pm

Received and connected my new LTE bundle today. We're approaching 2 months since last post on this subject and the issue appears unresolved. Flashing green light on the Netstick, flashing red on the Ooma device, with a reboot every now and then. I know I have robust LTE coverage in my area. Hopefully customer service will return my call tomorrow and I can post a fix.

Robek

Post by Robek » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:48 pm

Most of the problems that other users reported in this thread had nothing to do with the robustness of LTE coverage, but for any given area, some carriers may be more robust than others. A blinking green light could indicate a poor signal. Ooma offers some adapter placement tips to improve signal strength.

mml373

Post by mml373 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:25 pm

My issue appears to be resolved as of today. Sounds like a software/setting issue that Ooma's Engineering folks had to address on their end of things.

Glad to be up and running and appreciate the customer service and support from Ooma.