CNAM database

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Stelcom66
CNAM database

Post by Stelcom66 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:51 am

When a call is received, does Ooma query a particular CNAM database for the Caller ID information? If I call my Ooma phone number from a particular phone number, it displays the old (incorrect) Caller ID information for the phone number I'm calling from. If I call a number served by Frontier Communications, the correct Caller ID name is displayed.

I realize this is more of a question for Ooma tech support. The carrier for the phone number is question (Windstream) has updated the name as requested, but it seems not all carriers have received the update. It's the terminating carrier that displays the Caller ID text, in our case Ooma. I wonder if Ooma uses a different CNAM database than Frontier?

Robek

Re: CNAM database

Post by Robek » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:24 pm

The sending carrier provides the Caller ID number, but the receiving carrier is responsible for using the number to look up the Caller ID name. Different carriers can use different databases. Some databases may provide old/inaccurate names, and some carriers may cache names they've looked up before, rather than pay a fee to look them up again.

Incumbent carriers (like Frontier) are usually more willing to pay extra (and charge extra) to directly query the carrier hosting the information, rather than query a third-party database, or cache old results.