Unable to port number away from Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Stinedurf
Unable to port number away from Ooma

Post by Stinedurf » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:01 am

I have been trying for weeks to port my phone number away from Ooma to Xfinity Mobile with no luck at all. I am hoping someone that reads these posts can shake something loose. I have had the phone number for probably 30 years and really don’t want to lose it to what looks to me to be an uncaring bureaucracy. The phone service from Ooma was fine, but I want to simplify things by getting all my phones onto one carrier and having them all with cellular capability.

Anyway, Xfinity has repeatedly issued requests to port but never gets a response from Ooma. They have even tried using the manual porting method (phone call to Ooma) and nothing happens. I tried the live chat with Ooma support who told me to send a port out request to loa@ooma.com. I did that, got an automated response and no progress was made. I tried chat again, still nothing. I tried calling agents twice. On the second call the agent told me the issue had been escalated and to expect an email response. That was 4 days ago and still nothing.

It doesn’t look like Ooma cares enough to resolve this, so maybe this can at least be a cautionary tale for others.

Stinedurf

Re: Unable to port number away from Ooma

Post by Stinedurf » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:44 am

And still no progress. Ooma just keeps saying “try again”. They refuse to actively engage in solving this problem.

Stinedurf

Post by Stinedurf » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:05 pm

Another day passes and I’m still being ignored by Ooma support. It seems they have no interest in letting me port my number away. If I were a large corporation they would pay attention. How a company treats small customers says a lot about that company.

georgero

Post by georgero » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:56 am

@Stinedurf: I have been trying to port my phone number from OOMA to a new cell phone for a couple weeks now. I have had similar troubles. My mobile carrier cannot find OOMA in any list of landline provider in order to initiate a port request. OOMA support told me to email portouts@ooma.com to request a port. I have had no response other than a failed delivery notification with multiple email addresses from @telusinternational.com

Since I previously had the phone number before porting it IN to OOMA, my carrier was able to determine that my number is "Portable". Apparently not all numbers are portable. They then dug in further and found that a company called iristel is holding ownership of my number. My carrier DOES have iristel in their list of landline carriers so they can use that to initiate a port request.

I have an appointment tomorrow to request them to do this. I will reply back with how it goes after we try. It was only through persistent calls to my carrier's support team, advanced support team, customer service group, and a couple of really dedicated people following through that I was able to find this information out.

I hope it may be able to help you as well. Cheers!