Old Telo Unit Seems to be Failing

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
rschmidt46
Old Telo Unit Seems to be Failing

Post by rschmidt46 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:45 pm

I was on the phone with tech support for nearly an hour today and did not get a call back after the unit was reset remotely. I' did the reset again myself, following instructions from the Ooma website. I believe my unit is failing. The speaker does not work. During the reset, I was supposed to hear a couple of beeps and they never happened. Admittedly I have a very old phone set but it does not appear to be malfunctioning.

Here's the problem I am experiencing: The phone stopped ringing approximately a week ago. It is only used for incoming "home phone" calls. I virtually never use it to call out, as I rely almost entirely on my cellphone. Today, I traced all the cords to make sure I didn't have a bad one. The Telo is connected to the router (which is working properly). The phone is connected to the Telo phone jack. When I disconnect the phone and plug it back in, I get the standard dial tone. But after a short time, the tone changes to busy and later to "off hook". I am not discovering this by keeping the phone off its cradle. I am picking up the receiver at intervals and hearing the different tones that way.

It really seems like the unit is dying. Right now, after being rebooted and reset, it has NO LIGHT on at all. Earlier it went through all the light changes and ended up solid red, even though it showed as online on MyOoma dashboard.

Can I get an Ooma Telo tested and, if faulty, replaced at Best Buy? They apparently sell them. If so, will everything work as before (same phone number, router and phone connection, etc.?

Robek

Re: Old Telo Unit Seems to be Failing

Post by Robek » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:50 pm

The Telo has custom hardware, firmware, and depends on the back-end Ooma servers, so Best Buy probably couldn't do much testing beyond what users could do for themselves. If there's no existing protection plan or extended warranty in place, then how much extra would they charge just to look at it?

If they end up deciding to replace the old Telo with a new one instead, then Ooma still needs to activate the new device, and transfer the existing account and phone numbers to it, in order for everything to work the same as before.