Calling with the Ooma skill on Alexa

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
spunky
Calling with the Ooma skill on Alexa

Post by spunky » Sat May 04, 2024 10:03 am

Can someone please clarify what to expect when making a call with the Alexa app via Ooma? Will the Echo device act as a speaker allowing me to directly speak with the other person on the line? Or will it simply dial the number and have me complete the call with the phone that is connected to my Ooma?

Based on the answers written on this forum, the second explanation is what occurs (but some of the posts are somewhat old). However, after asking more than one Ooma representative, I'm told that the Echo device will act as a speaker allowing you to complete your call. Can someone please confirm one or the other?

Secondly, I'm having some difficulty making a call via the Ooma skill on the Alexa app. After asking Alexa to place the call via Ooma, I get the following response "calling your phone. answer it to be connected to (phone number)" and nothing happens after that. Does anyone know what should happen next and how to fix this issue? Do I need to be using a special "Ooma approved" phone for this to work? I'm using a standard landline phone.

I'd appreciate any help. I've been searching online for a solution and have been unsuccessful, the Ooma representatives have not been much help with this issue either. Thank you.

Robek

Re: Calling with the Ooma skill on Alexa

Post by Robek » Sat May 04, 2024 12:04 pm

According to this other topic, Ooma skills no longer works with Alexa. The Echo device required an additional Echo Connect device connected to the Telo to make or receive hands-free calls. Otherwise, Alexa could only dial the number, and the caller needed to pick up the phone to complete the call.

spunky

Re: Calling with the Ooma skill on Alexa

Post by spunky » Thu May 09, 2024 11:23 am

Hi Robek, thanks for your reply and all the info. That makes complete sense. That’s too bad, I was really looking forward to using that functionality.