DIRECTV Internet Connection

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Kort
DIRECTV Internet Connection

Post by Kort » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 am

My Father-in-law is interested in getting an ooma system, but does not have a high-speed internet connection yet. He has DIRECTV and wants to get high-speed internet through them (he lives in Woodbridge, CT). He called and talked to 4 reps there and none of them had heard of ooma.

My question is can the ooma system work through DIRECTV provided internet and will he be able to keep his current number if he drops all land lines. He also uses a fax machine and wonders if that will work if he switches to ooma as well.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: DIRECTV Internet Connection

Post by Bobby B » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:57 pm

Hi Kort,

Assuming DirecTV runs their Internet service over satellite, there's a good chance you might run into issues with voice quality due to the inherent delay with satellite internet (as you would experience with any other VoIP).

Is there a wired Internet connection where he lives? We recommend using ooma with DSL, Cable, or Fiber-Optic home connections.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B

Kort

Re: DIRECTV Internet Connection

Post by Kort » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 am

I know he doesn't get DSL because he is too far out. Funny though, the phone company was charging him $30 for a service that didn't even work!
I was also told by ooma support that it would NOT work, oh well.

Unfortunately he had to table the idea for now...missing out on the $199 sale.