Ooma and a DVR

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jdslatermd
Ooma and a DVR

Post by jdslatermd » Mon May 12, 2008 8:51 am

Greetings. I've successfully installed the Ooma (and discontinued my local phone service - that was why I bought it in the first place) and in general it works fine - but my DVR cannot make an outgoing local call.

I've contacted the company, and added the dialing prefixes they suggest and made a variety of adjustments to fix the problem, and so far nothing has worked. The one thing they have suggested that my system simply will not allow is to have a cable modem - Ooma Hub - DVR direct connection. For one thing, if I connect the Ooma Hub first, the rest of my high speed internet connection breaks down. I can connect the hub to my high speed wireless router, and for the most part it works fine. But if I have the hub in the same room as the router (and the cable modem), it is nowhere near the DVR (and using the satellite doesn't work). I've extended the high speed internet access through my house current so that I can place the Ooma hub in the same room as the DVR, and the hub and satellite work just fine for routine phone service. But when I do that, as noted the DVR attempts to dial out and connect to DirecTV simply fail. I can't move the DVR to where the cable modem is located because the TV it's connected to would not even fit in the room.

Anyone else have DVR connection issues? Any ideas?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Ooma and a DVR

Post by Bobby B » Mon May 12, 2008 10:01 am

Hi jdslatermd, a similar question came up in this recent
Amazon.com forum post

By chance, can you post what is the make and model # of your DVR? Also, you mentioned DirecTV had suggested the following topology: "cable modem - Ooma Hub - DVR direct connection" - can your DVR be configured to use the Internet to retrieve channel listings and other data?

-Bobby
Bobby B

jdslatermd

Post by jdslatermd » Wed May 14, 2008 7:51 pm

The DVR model number is DirecTV HR10-250. The guide information is downloaded directly by from the satellite. So far as I can tell, there is no way to connect the box to the internet. It uses the phone to complete pay-per-view orders, for example, and probably some other administrative tasks I am unaware of. The DVR has worked without connecting by phone since 2/29 - I simply cannot order any movies :-(

The configuration I mentioned was not suggested by DirecTV. It was suggested (via emailed support) by Ooma.

I've already tried *99 as mentioned in the Amazon post - didn't work. Googling my model number and voip doesn't lead to any useful suggestions.

Jeremy

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon May 19, 2008 9:18 am

Hi Jeremy, these sites may be helpful (describes different call numbers and settings for your DVR):

Link 1
Link 2

Also, if the only issue is with ordering PPV - is it possible to workaround this problem by ordering PPV over the phone or the DirecTV webstite?

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B