Outbound Caller ID Still Not Working

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
bterryphoto
Re: Outbound Caller ID Still Not Working

Post by bterryphoto » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:01 pm

I am having the same "null, null" problem. I'll keep checking back for updates and of course post if it get's figured out

mezzy316

Post by mezzy316 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:26 am

4 months and counting and I am still "Null,Null". No sign of it being corrected any time soon.

ScottinSF

Post by ScottinSF » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:15 pm

My outbound caller ID isn't working as well. I set up my Telo over two weeks ago. Despite what Ooma may tell people this is normally a feature that works immediately - up until now I have never heard of anyone on any phone service not having caller ID enabled with their service.

Unfortunately, when I make calls to friends and family, no one answers the phone because the phone either says "Private Name," or worse, "Ooma Inc." I want to see how well the system works before porting my AT&T phone lines, but haven't been able to use it much because of this issue. I sent "Customer Service" an email several days ago and - not surprisingly from what I have read on this forum - have not heard anything back. I guess I will try calling them tomorrow and if they can't/won't resolve the issue I will return the Telo and the unusable handset. I purchased it directly from Ooma (on Amazon) so if I have to return it I will mostly likely have to call my credit card company to dispute the charge since Ooma apparently has NO customer service. Fortunately, disputing a charge is an easy and quick process. Unfortunately for Ooma it involves a charge back fee (to Ooma) that can be upwards of $100.

If anyone has any tips on how to get the outbound caller ID working please let me know.

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:30 pm

ScottinSF wrote:My outbound caller ID isn't working as well. I set up my Telo over two weeks ago. Despite what Ooma may tell people this is normally a feature that works immediately - up until now I have never heard of anyone on any phone service not having caller ID enabled with their service.

Unfortunately, when I make calls to friends and family, no one answers the phone because the phone either says "Private Name," or worse, "Ooma Inc." I want to see how well the system works before porting my AT&T phone lines, but haven't been able to use it much because of this issue. I sent "Customer Service" an email several days ago and - not surprisingly from what I have read on this forum - have not heard anything back. I guess I will try calling them tomorrow and if they can't/won't resolve the issue I will return the Telo and the unusable handset. I purchased it directly from Ooma (on Amazon) so if I have to return it I will mostly likely have to call my credit card company to dispute the charge since Ooma apparently has NO customer service. Fortunately, disputing a charge is an easy and quick process. Unfortunately for Ooma it involves a charge back fee (to Ooma) that can be upwards of $100.

If anyone has any tips on how to get the outbound caller ID working please let me know.
I seem to recall that there is an option in myooma.com to disable or enable that feature. I personally don't care if my CID shows up on an outgoing call. In fact, I have never asked anyone that is not an ooma user. Guess I should. I hardly see this as a show stopper.

And if I recall, it does take a while for CID databases to be updated anyway. Obviously the info database's don't consider this a high priority. Seems to me that the E911 would be a concern. That can be tested. I provide my own 911 services out of necessity.

Since it appears from your username that you live in the "big city" , you might try using published procedures to test for 911 services.

Yes, I used to live in the bay area, hence the term big city. :)

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:35 pm

ScottinSF wrote:Despite what Ooma may tell people this is normally a feature that works immediately - up until now I have never heard of anyone on any phone service not having caller ID enabled with their service.
In my case it did take a few weeks, IIRC was more than 2 and less than 4.

NULLNULL

Post by NULLNULL » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:01 pm

I signed up for Ooma (including premier) in 9/2009. I've been known as NULL, NULL since then. It makes is rather annoying trying to get in touch with people since many people screen their calls based on CID.

I've sent multiple inquiries to CS and called them as well only to be ensured that the problem was being addressed within a few days. If they know it's not going to be fixed, or not soon, they should tell the truth instead of lying. That makes it worse.

If my problem isn't taken care of relatively soon, I plan on registered a domain name and web site for everyone currently know as NULL, NULL to register their complaints. I believe Ooma can fix this if they really want to. If they can set me up with a new callerID for $11.99 (according to their own site), why don't they just eat the twelve bucks and update the CID for all of us with the NULL, NULL issues? That's a small price to pay compared to the bad publicity that comes from countless disgruntled customers voicing their complaint. Just sayin'.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm

NULLNULL wrote:I signed up for Ooma (including premier) in 9/2009. I've been known as NULL, NULL since then. It makes is rather annoying trying to get in touch with people since many people screen their calls based on CID.

I've sent multiple inquiries to CS and called them as well only to be ensured that the problem was being addressed within a few days. If they know it's not going to be fixed, or not soon, they should tell the truth instead of lying. That makes it worse.

If my problem isn't taken care of relatively soon, I plan on registered a domain name and web site for everyone currently know as NULL, NULL to register their complaints. I believe Ooma can fix this if they really want to. If they can set me up with a new callerID for $11.99 (according to their own site), why don't they just eat the twelve bucks and update the CID for all of us with the NULL, NULL issues? That's a small price to pay compared to the bad publicity that comes from countless disgruntled customers voicing their complaint. Just sayin'.
Did you port your number or was it assigned to you by Ooma? If you ported it, and especially if you ported it from AT&T, you might find this interesting reading: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r238233 ... ot-Working

ScottinSF

Post by ScottinSF » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46 am

NULLNULL - I feel your pain. I went through the same thing with Ooma. You have to be insistent with them. What I found was the "Customer Service" reps didn't want to help. They did everything to get me off the phone either by pretending to not understand what I was saying or using the most ridiculous arguments. When it was clear that I wasn't going to go away they filled out some internal form to escalate the issue to another department. And as soon as the other department did whatever they needed to do the problem was solved immediately. There is no delay in getting CID set up -- other than the delay of a work queue.

Based on some conflicting information on this thread about how CID works I did some googling and found that Ooma is indeed responsible for this issue. Here is the most succinct information I found: "If you are using a VoIP provider, the CID information is sent with the call setup. Note however that most VoIP providers will not send a caller ID name, only the number. This is because they do not have name exchange agreements in place."

BTW, I ported two phone numbers from AT&T. From my experience, AT&T has nothing to do with this problem (although I despise AT&T so normally I am happy to blame them). Once Ooma updated the information on their end the problem was solved. While it took days of arguing with "Customer Service" once they decided to take care of this issue it was resolved the next day.

Good luck! Also, don't bother with emails since they ignore them. You need to call them and be insistent.

wildbill

Post by wildbill » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 pm

Just checked on that site and my ooma number is showing Caller Name: Private too.

--Bill

wildbill

Post by wildbill » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 pm

I have incoming CID but outgoing only shows my number and my name is blocked. I wish ooma would push this out faster.

Gee it only took a friend of mine to get Metro PCS to update CNAM on his cell phone in just a few days. I wonder what the problem is.. this should be a non issue.

--Bill