$99 Ooma Premier extended for current Ooma Hub customers

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Big Boy Laroux
Re: $99 Ooma Premier extended for current Ooma Hub customers

Post by Big Boy Laroux » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:04 pm

thausman wrote:Big boy,

I don't think that if you have premier already, you would have a rate increase after 12/31/09. It just means that you have until then to be grandfathered into the old TOS for the ooma hub/scout. If you decide on Jan 1 2010 that you want premier, then it will be 119.00 per year. Existing users with the premier service will continue to pay $99 per year for life. Someon correct me if I am wrong.

I think you're right. I think I read his post wrong - that he just bought and was in trial of premier. But if you are currently paying $99.99 a year for premier, I believe you are grandfathered in at that price for the rest of time. :)

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Wow - these last two days have been crazy! Our account (core/scout with 6 mo. premier trial from costco.com) was activated a little more than 4 weeks ago, and since everything went fairly well from the get-go we went ahead and had our number ported. The port took place yesterday, and with all the brew-ha-ha happening here we were quite relieved to see the folks at ooma handled the porting without a hitch. What a relief - thank you ooma!

Now the following issues are related to
A) adding premier service "post port" and
B) the long term pricing of premier service for those who either are paying premier members now, or elect to purchase the $99 package before the end of 2009.

Issue A
1) Three weeks ago when we ordered the number port there was reason to believe that we could purchase a year of premier service for $99 and have our porting fee ($40) credited towards that purchase as long as we made that decision before the end of the trial period. (see 3rd post at this link - - > http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... p=397#p397)
2) Our six month trial is to run through early March, so we thought that we would have five more months to "kick the tires" before we had to make a decision on whether to extend the premier service for for another year. But based on the first post in this thread, it looks like we may need to move up that decision.

Question A1: If we wait till the end of February to purchase the year of premier service will the price be $60 or $80 (or would ooma charge the full rate of $120)? In other words, will the number port fee be credited as we thought it would be - and if so, what yearly fee will be enforced in late February when a calculation takes place?
Question A2: If we decide to add a year of premier service before the end of 2009, will we pay $60 or $100? In other words, will the number port fee be credited?

Issue B
Probably obvious - but it deserves a response. The Ts&Cs in place when we purchased our system state "Our Premier Services, and the prices we charge for them, (including any promotional pricing) are subject to change from time to time without notice."

Question B: Will current premier members (and those who are grandfathered in during the next few days/weeks) be able to renew their yearly service for $99 (for life), or will it be renewed at the prevailing rate?

JadeKyle

Post by JadeKyle » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:33 pm

I know there aren't a whole lot of folks in my situation...but, can you clarify the transfer of a "Premier Lifetime Subscriber". I am hopeful that the transfer of the account as it is includes this facet of the account. I don't see why it wouldn't, but haven't seen any literature about it one way or the other. Thanks for any reply given.
Ooma Service:
Lifetime Premiere account
Ooma Equipment:
Ooma original Hub and Scout
Ooma Telo
2-HD2 handsets
Ooma Customer Since: April 2008

stevenL

Post by stevenL » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Dennis, so I (we) understand this correctly and there is no confusion. For current Ooma customers (those who already have service), if they sign up for Premier by 12/31/09 they will be considered "grand-fathered" in and will only have to pay $99/year for the service going forward... correct?

jthphoto

Post by jthphoto » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:56 pm

I upgraded to Premiere from Trial Premiere today for $99 and was told that I would be grandfathered into the old TOS. Nice that they extended it to the end of the year. I'm getting to like this company. They seem fair on almost everything.

frenchcamp49er

Post by frenchcamp49er » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:25 pm

3018744670 wrote:I dont know when my yearly premier contract will expire and I want to extend my agreement for 1, 2 or 3 years at the $99 per year price......where do I do this? I do not see the option on line, do I have to call the 800 number to do this???? let me know please.

I would like to know how to do this also.
Customer Since: January 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Hub/Scout; Telo 04/02/10
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since December 2009)

ooma1113

Post by ooma1113 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:33 am

3018744670 wrote:I dont know when my yearly premier contract will expire and I want to extend my agreement for 1, 2 or 3 years at the $99 per year price......where do I do this? I do not see the option on line, do I have to call the 800 number to do this???? let me know please.
Account Notification: Update to Terms & Conditions

Dear Harold,

It's been a busy several months for us here at Ooma, but we wanted to stop and say "thank you" for being part of the Ooma family. Your support and guidance is what has made us successful so far, and we hope we can count on your help in the future too.

We are making some changes to our Terms and Conditions and to our pricing. For all our existing Ooma Core customers, these changes are limited. Here is what applies to you:

* We've increased your minutes of residential, domestic calling to 5,000 minutes per month
* We've reduced the monthly subscription price for Ooma Premier to $9.99 (from $12.99)
* We've grandfathered existing Ooma Premier annual subscribers at the previous rate of $99.99. New annual subscriptions will be priced at $119.99
* We've implemented billing for 411 (directory assistance) at $0.99 per call (800-GOOG-411 or 800-FREE-411 are free options). This charge will be deducted from your Ooma prepaid calling account

For new Ooma customers, here are highlights of our new Terms and Conditions:

* 5,000 total minutes per month of residential domestic calling
* Ooma Premier monthly subscriptions are $9.99/month
* Ooma Premier annual subscriptions are $119.99/year. This now includes either one free number port ($39.99 value) or a free Ooma Telo Handset ($49.99 value)
* $11.75/year Regulatory Recovery Fee in Years 2 and beyond to cover taxes, regulatory fees and other costs
* Voicemail is now bundled with Ooma Premier
* 60-days of free Ooma Care telephone support. Thereafter, non-Premier customers receive free email support and may purchase Ooma Care telephone support for $39.99/year

Just to be clear, as an existing Ooma Core customer, the annual Regulatory Recovery Fee mentioned above will not apply to you. You will also continue to receive voicemail and free unlimited Ooma Care telephone support without subscribing to Ooma Premier.

As you can see, we have improved the terms for you, our current customers. We have maintained our commitments to you while improving our residential service and reducing the monthly charge for Ooma Premier. We have made slight changes for new customers to reflect our latest business activities and to be more in-line with current market conditions. If you have any questions about the new terms and conditions or the new pricing, please comment on our blog or send us an email.

Thank you again for being an Ooma customer.

Until later,
Team Ooma

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:54 am

stevenL wrote:Dennis, so I (we) understand this correctly and there is no confusion. For current Ooma customers (those who already have service), if they sign up for Premier by 12/31/09 they will be considered "grand-fathered" in and will only have to pay $99/year for the service going forward... correct?
I read it the same way originally... However, in the new blog by Rich Buchanan it says the following

2.Current Ooma Premier Users
a. No changes to your current feature set.
b. No annual regulatory recovery fee will be charged.
c. If you are paying monthly for Premier, your monthly price will change to $9.99 from $12.99.
d. If you wish to buy an additional year of Premier at $99.99, you have until 12/31/09.

So it depends on how you read this... Some clarification on this would be good.
Go AVS!

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:54 am

thausman wrote:Big boy,

I don't think that if you have premier already, you would have a rate increase after 12/31/09. It just means that you have until then to be grandfathered into the old TOS for the ooma hub/scout. If you decide on Jan 1 2010 that you want premier, then it will be 119.00 per year. Existing users with the premier service will continue to pay $99 per year for life. Someon correct me if I am wrong.
That certainly would be my assumption... I wouldn't stress over getting a single year for $99... But I would stress (aka, deeply consider) whether I wanted to grandfather in the pricing for "life" (whatever that means these days)... :)

EDIT: Wow...reading through the blog post, it is as confusing as it ever was... So we need someone from Ooma to chime in on this... If I am an original hub/scout owner...and I activated in August, and have 7 days left of my free premier service, what exactly is being offered?

My hope is:
- I have until 12/31/2009 to upgrade to Premier at $99 and grandfathered into that rate for life

By reading the blog, I believe that the truth is:
- I have until 12/31/2009 (or is it actually in 7 days, since my trial ends in 7 days) to make a decision on whether I want to have the pleasure of getting Premier for $99 for a single year, with renewals going up to $119 afterwards...
- I think I am also reading that I might be able to buy an additional (a second year) of premier for $99 if I prepay...but still, my renewal would jump to $119 after that...

I have to admit...I am "dazed and confused" :D

Two main questions for anyone monitoring this thread from Ooma...
1. Is anyone grandfathered into the $99/year plan moving forward (and of course, can I be grandfathered given my situation above) :)

2. Once on premier, if I decide to go back to the basic/free service, because I am a pre-October1st/2009 customer, am I grandfathered into all the basic stuff that comes at no cost (voicemail, no-$12-surcharge, etc...)

Thanks!

Gaelic1

Post by Gaelic1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:20 am

I really don't need the Premier in my situation but I bought it anyway. I want this company to thrive and $100 is well spent just to get the standard options, let alone, the Premier options. Good luck Ooma!! :D